Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What do you believe is the origin of "Life"?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to see what your answers to these questions are.
    As far as I know, no one has a definitive answer onto how it all began and I have a gut feeling they never will prove what began before the universe. But this is truly just a interesting debate so I wanted to see some views.
    Let's have a healthy debate (I know, wrong site.)

1. What do you believe started creation, or what caused the universe to exist?

2. What do you believe is your evidence?

3. Do you believe your theory 100% and if so how would you convince me or anyone else that your theory is the truth or almost accurate?

*Please keep it respectful, I understand followers of faith will definitely answer this so I'd like to avoid any conflict although I see no way of stopping it at all, but trying counts.*

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    How far back are we going?

If we're talking human ancestor existence, well, one of the theories is volcanic lightning interacting with amino acids.

ReputationRep:
    Adam and Eve was the beginning of life imo.

I do believe in evolution but not that we came from apes and stuff. i believe that evolution takes place in cases such as humans becoming shorter over thousands of years.

one thing i dont understand is that if we did come from apes then why are we the only evolved species?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    How far back are we going?

If we're talking human ancestor existence, well, one of the theories is volcanic lightning interacting with amino acids.
    Pretty cool to be honest. Think, at the very beginning what caused the universe to exist, and what caused that? The start of literally everything. Existence itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)

I do believe in evolution but not that we came from apes and stuff. i believe that evolution takes place in cases such as humans becoming shorter over thousands of years.

one thing i dont understand is that if we did come from apes then why are we the only evolved species?
    We didn't come from apes, we and apes both evolved from a common ancestor.

As to why we're the only evolved species? We're not. Evolution is a series of random mutations, some of which make a species more fit for survival. We were lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)

Awesome, thanks. In terms of human creation, perfect. However, what do you think of the universe? (Quickly fixed my original post because it wasn't too specific I guess)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohan187)
    Pretty cool to be honest. Think, at the very beginning what caused the universe to exist, and what caused that? The start of literally everything. Existence itself.
    Nobody is quite sure. What we do know is that time didn't exist before the Big Bang.

ReputationRep:
    it's all been worked out already...

https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/ussher.htm

tl;dr

man was created by the Trinity on October 23, 4004 B.C., at nine o'clock in the morning*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    at nine o'clock in the morning*
    "The above excerpt makes no mention of the time of day at which creation occurred. In popular references one often finds it given as 9 A.M., and this is wrongly attributed to Ussher."

ReputationRep:
    "The above excerpt makes no mention of the time of day at which creation occurred. In popular references one often finds it given as 9 A.M., and this is wrongly attributed to Ussher."
    0900 seems a very sensible time to create Mankind ( & Womankind as well )

there is plenty of time for them to settle down before spending their first night on Earth. *

ReputationRep:
    In the beginning, there was nothing.
    Then God said "let there be light"
    But there was no light.
    God was confused.
    He then remembered he installed voice activated lights in the universe next door.
    God fumbled around for the switch.
    God tripped over some dark matter and fell, head first against the celestial coffee table.
    He got up and composed himself.
    God flicked the light switch and said "let there be light"
    And there was light, but God was too concussed to appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is quite sure. What we do know is that time didn't exist before the Big Bang.
    Truth. These questions are honestly designed to see your theories on what actually pushed everything into motion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohan187)
    Awesome, thanks. In terms of human creation, perfect. However, what do you think of the universe? (Quickly fixed my original post because it wasn't too specific I guess)
    the big bang happened, but God made it happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)

Evolution is a fact.We did not come from apes we have a common ancestor with them.You are thinking Chimp goes to human.It was actually more like common ancestor goes to humans + chimps.
    So one species splits into two different species.See the difference? There is a lot of evidence for evolution.Ever wonder why everything has DNA? Thats because it all came from the same original organism.Why do so many animals have four legs? Because the original common ancestor of these animals had 4 legs.Fossils also provide evidence for evolution.What about neanderthals,denisovans, homo florensis? Did god just put those fossils there for lols? No, fossils are a record of animals that came before us.Like a detective doesnt have to be at a murder scene to work out who commited murder,we also dont need to be there to work out what happened.We are also not the only evolved species.Evolution doesnt have a purpose so it is incorrect to say that humans are more evolved than other animals.We are just evolved in a different way.The ancestors of whales used to live on land.They evolved to live in the ocean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    How are we the only evolved species? All of the life we see today is the product of hundreds of millions of years of evolution.
    But if you're talking about "intelligent" or dominant species then not that long ago (around 1200 generations) another species of human existed in Europe (Homo Neanderthalensis) who had similar social structures to us, used tools, built some basic homes, cooked vegetables and possibly had language.

For reasons currently not fully understood, this species no longer exists, but there is evidence to suggest inter-breeding with modern humans (Homo Sapiens).

You state that you accept the fact that small variations happen over small time periods, this is consistent with modern humans being descended from proto-humans/apes (or whatever other term you want to use). Evolution doesn't happen quickly, it requires a long time to make large changes. Every fossil that has been found is a so-called "missing link" between two different species as evolution is always an ongoing process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Evolution is a fact.We did not come from apes we have a common ancestor with them.You are thinking Chimp goes to human.It was actually more like common ancestor goes to humans + chimps.
    So one species splits into two different species.See the difference? There is a lot of evidence for evolution.Ever wonder why everything has DNA? Thats because it all came from the same original organism.Why do so many animals have four legs? Because the original common ancestor of these animals had 4 legs.Fossils also provide evidence for evolution.What about neanderthals,denisovans, homo florensis? Did god just put those fossils there for lols? No, fossils are a record of animals that came before us.Like a detective doesnt have to be at a murder scene to work out who commited murder,we also dont need to be there to work out what happened.We are also not the only evolved species.Evolution doesnt have a purpose so it is incorrect to say that humans are more evolved than other animals.We are just evolved in a different way.The ancestors of whales used to live on land.They evolved to live in the ocean.
    While I agree with the theory of evolution, it is just that: a theory. To call it an undeniable fact is hardly logical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielOH)
    While I agree with the theory of evolution, it is just that: a theory. To call it an undeniable fact is hardly logical.
    A scientific theory has a different meaning to the everyday use.Ever hear of the germ theory of disease.We are not still waiting for germs to be proven.We know they exist.The everyday usesage of the word means more like hypothesis.A scientific theory is something which is backed up by the highest standards of evidence and repeated emperical observation.It is not a guess or a hypothesis.Evolution is fact.

ReputationRep:
    A scientific theory has a different meaning to the everyday use.Ever hear of the germ theory of disease.We are not still waiting for germs to be proven.We know they exist.The everyday usesage of the word means more like hypothesis.A scientific theory is something which is backed up by the highest standards of evidence and repeated emperical observation.It is not a guess or a hypothesis.Evolution is fact.
    That's not quite how it works. Something is a fact when the evidence cannot be refuted. We have strong evidence for evolution via our alleged ancestors we have excavated, but there's no way to positively prove that they became us. Hence theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielOH)
    That's not quite how it works. Something is a fact when the evidence cannot be refuted. We have strong evidence for evolution via our alleged ancestors we have excavated, but there's no way to positively prove that they became us. Hence theory.
    You don't understand what a scientific theory is.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

Its not just a guess.Its something that is repeatedly observed and which has vast amounts of emperical evidence.And you can prove they became us.We don't just have fossils.We have evidence from Dna and from artificial selection as well.Evolution is at least as well substantiated as the germ theory and nobody doubts that germs cause disease do they? Back when it was first proposed there was some doubt because we had a lack of fossils,and we couldnt look at the dna.But there is hardly any doubt now.No serious scientist doubts that evolution took place.The only dispute is how life actually began.

ReputationRep:
    You don't understand what a scientific theory is.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

Its not just a guess.Its something that is repeatedly observed and which has vast amounts of emperical evidence.And you can prove they became us.We don't just have fossils.We have evidence from Dna and from artificial selection as well.Evolution is at least as well substantiated as the germ theory and nobody doubts that germs cause disease do they? Back when it was first proposed there was some doubt because we had a lack of fossils,and we couldnt look at the dna.But there is hardly any doubt now.No serious scientist doubts that evolution took place.The only dispute is how life actually began.
    At literally no point did I say it was a guess. No matter how much evidence of the types you mentioned you gather, evolution never becomes certain, because it is a SYNTHETIC PROPOSITION.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2016
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.