Ask me about UCLan!

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'm a third year English Language student at UCLan and I've lived in Preston for 2 years so if you have any questions about the university or the area then reply below!

I ran a society last year and I also have a part time job so I can offer advice with that, too

Let me know if you have any questions!

Molly

ReputationRep:
    I am going to start university in March 2017. I am worried about accommodation!! Where can i find it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leissycassandra)
    I am going to start university in March 2017. I am worried about accommodation!! Where can i find it??
    Hi Leissycassandra! What's the reason for you starting in March? I wouldn't worry too much about accommodation. There are usually quite a few options even if you're starting late in the year

I'll leave a link to the accommodation page here for you which is basically just information about UCLan's halls of residence but you could look at renting a house with a private landlord if that's something you'd prefer. I really like the homeliness of a private house but I would recommend halls if you've never done it before because I think it's something everyone should do once

Give me a shout if you need any more help!

Molly

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm an international student applying for the Acting course in UCLAN. And because i'm international, i have to send in my auditions by video. Do you know anyone who has done this? I really need advice cuz i've never auditioned via internet! It scares me!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leissycassandra)
    Hi,

I have a self contained studio apartment available for only £135 per week all bills included, wifi and free parking! It is only 5 minute walk from university and easy to walk into town. It has an en suite and own bathroom, excellent security and includes tv and microwave. If you would like pictures or more information let me know 🙂

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,
    Have been conditionally accepted into Medicine . Looking at accommodation in Preston.
    Has anyone have information on Walker student residence ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am moving up to Preston in the summer for university and would love to meet a few people who too are off to UCLan so if anybody would like to private message me! I'm Aimee by the way

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I am currently in my first year at the Open University. I have applied to transfer and complete my second and third year at UCLAN.
    I can't decide on commuting as I live 30 mins from Preston or whether to just pack up and move to Preston and get a job etc.
    How easy is it to get a job in Preston? I don't want to do bar work!

Whats life at Uclan like?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm going to study Musical Theatre next year and I need to start applying for Halls soon! I was wondering which are generally considered best? I would like ensuite

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akarmali)
    Hi ,
    Have been conditionally accepted into Medicine . Looking at accommodation in Preston.
    Has anyone have information on Walker student residence ?
    Hi akarmali

Sanctuary Students Walker Street accommodation is brand new and prices start at £96 per week. The rooms are en suite and the building is situated just off Friargate which is very central to the university, shops, takeaways etc.

I've not seen the accommodation myself but from the website it looks really nice! I'll post the link below:

https://www.sanctuary-students.com/s.../walker-street

It's owned by Sanctuary Students which are leased by UCLan, so although it's not owned by the university, it's still approved and trusted by UCLan so you don't need to worry about dodgy landlords or anything like that

Hope this helped and let me know if you have any more questions!

Molly

ReputationRep:
    UCLan is crap and I wouldn't recommend anybody to study there

Preston is also cheap but full of chavs, avoid if possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlottej93)
    Hey!
    I am currently in my first year at the Open University. I have applied to transfer and complete my second and third year at UCLAN.
    I can't decide on commuting as I live 30 mins from Preston or whether to just pack up and move to Preston and get a job etc.
    How easy is it to get a job in Preston? I don't want to do bar work!

Whats life at Uclan like?

Thanks
    Hi Charlotte!

I'm a third year student and I've had a job since my first year as a Student Ambassador. This means I work for UCLan and it involves representing the university in a huge variety of ways such as working Open Days, visiting schools, delivering campus tours, helping staff set up and pack down events and so much more. It's a really exciting job because every shift is different!

Saying that, if you're after regular hours then this job might be annoying because although the pay is decent, you're not guaranteed a certain number of hours per week/month. Shifts are handed out on a first come first served basis and some weeks there is a lot more work available than others. This is useful when it comes to deadline time though because if you don't want to work you don't have to!

If that's not something you fancy, you could apply at some of the shops in town. Preston has a shopping centre called St George's with some of the usual high street shops and there's also Fishergate with a Primark, Lush, Topshop etc.

I didn't have the typical experience of applying for a job around Preston (although I did get a trial shift at Lush just after my first year ) but hopefully this has helped you a bit. You could even email some places before you arrive if you want!

Let me know if you have any more questions

Molly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLucyM)
    Hi! I'm going to study Musical Theatre next year and I need to start applying for Halls soon! I was wondering which are generally considered best? I would like ensuite

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Lucy

For en suite you have a few options! Roeburn Hall is really popular and it's the only en suite accommodation owned by UCLan. It's right in the centre of campus and is priced at £101.50 per week.

Your other options for en suite accommodation aren't owned but are leased by UCLan and they include IQ Kopa, Lawson Hall, Boatmans Court and Bowran House. I'll post a link to the student accommodation page so you can look at the info yourself.

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/accommodation/

I lived in Eden Hall in my first year which wasn't en suite so I don't have any first hand advice to give you except that shared bathrooms aren't that bad, I promise! I wanted en suite but I got shared and I loved it!

Let me know if you need any more help

Molly

ReputationRep:
    How new and affordable are the accommodations and I'm an international student will it be easy to go back and forth to the Manchester Airport?

ReputationRep:
    Hello there, I will be joining uclan for my 3rd year in September hopefully and I will be applying for accommodation as I live far. I really like uclan so far, I enjoyed the open day and hoping to Settle down smoothly but I am not quite sure which accommodation would suit me the best as I am 21 year old female and don't know much about the accomadtions in Preston.
    I would prefer my own bathroom and something cheap would be great

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwerty5289)
    Hello there, I will be joining uclan for my 3rd year in September hopefully and I will be applying for accommodation as I live far. I really like uclan so far, I enjoyed the open day and hoping to Settle down smoothly but I am not quite sure which accommodation would suit me the best as I am 21 year old female and don't know much about the accomadtions in Preston.
    I would prefer my own bathroom and something cheap would be great

Thank you
    Try Brunel Court - myself and my partner have a studio there for September and its around £5k for us both which works out really cheap when halving it. I think a single studio is around £3k. Have a look, its nicely located and provides for basic student needs in my opinion and leave you with a good amount of loan left over to live off.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much and I will be having a look at Brunel court xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwerty5289)
    Thank you so much and I will be having a look at Brunel court xx
    Not a problem - for what you get which covers all your needs it's a good place of living. Hope all works out either way xx

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 28, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Electronic notes or handwritten notes?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.