Is Oxbridge worth it for Medicine?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I know plenty of very intelligent people who had applied to Oxbridge. Nearly all of them got rejected. Right now, I am in S6/ Year 12 and I don't know if going through the trouble of applying for Medicine in a place like Oxbridge is really worth it. The application process can be traumatic as the interviewers hurl very challenging questions at candidates. I wouldn't want to go through the pain of getting rejected after all of that hard work.
    Also, I suppose I wouldn't have to go to a prestigious university to have a successful professional life.
    What do you think? I have 5As at Higher and I think my PS is quite good. Is it worth it?

ReputationRep:
    I mean, I don't really see what you lose from applying. The interview is 1 day, the process is just earlier than the rest. But if you're not willing to give up a few days out of fear of failure, then you need to change that attitude asap :P Won't get you anywhere, failure should fuel you to improve and impress, not knock you down permanently. Always aim as high as possible, try your best, and you'll do much better than someone with similar natural skills but a much less ambitious outlook on life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df456)
    I know plenty of very intelligent people who had applied to Oxbridge. Nearly all of them got rejected. Right now, I am in S6/ Year 12 and I don't know if going through the trouble of applying for Medicine in a place like Oxbridge is really worth it. The application process can be traumatic as the interviewers hurl very challenging questions at candidates. I wouldn't want to go through the pain of getting rejected after all of that hard work.
    Also, I suppose I wouldn't have to go to a prestigious university to have a successful professional life.
    What do you think? I have 5As at Higher and I think my PS is quite good. Is it worth it?
    No harm in applying. There is no advantage from one university to another when it comes to medicine. Whatever university you go to for medicine at the end of the day when you graduate you will be a doctor just like everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for Cambridge, but at Oxford as long as you have 8-10A* at GCSE and a good BMAT score then you have as good a chance as any. I know someone who got in and said their interviews weren't that great, but their BMAT score was really good so they got an offer. If you can excel in both then even better! But you must apply knowing that the majority of applicants get rejected and you must be comfortable with that, but this is pretty similar for most Medicine degrees anyway. You'll never know unless you try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shazen)
    No harm in applying. There is no advantage from one university to another when it comes to medicine. Whatever university you go to for medicine at the end of the day when you graduate you will be a doctor just like everyone else.
    What about if I wanted to focus on medical research? Would going to a prestigious uni like Oxbridge make a difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df456)
    Not really sure if the application process is "traumatising" but overall, I would say no. This really only applies to medicine; you can go to any other medical school and be given the same graduate salary as an F1 on the NHS. Now, I'm not sure how much it matters in terms of private practice, so that may be something worth looking in to.

Any ways, when you consider that F1 selection is blind and you get paid the same, getting 11A* for Oxford or 95% AS UMS average doesn't really seem worth it. But, by all means, if you do find yourself in this position, then apply. Just don't think it's the end of the world, because it's far from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df456)
    What about if I wanted to focus on medical research? Would going to a prestigious uni like Oxbridge make a difference?
    It should do yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df456)
    Oxford's course put great emphasis on the science of medicine. As such, it is ideally suited as a preparation for a career in medical research or academic medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df456)
    Prestige matters a big fat zero in medicine so you can get rid of that reason for picking Oxbridge.

Do you know anything about the medicine courses at Oxbridge? They're very traditional and quite different from medicine elsewhere. I personally would not have liked the Oxbridge courses.

Medicine in general is very competitive. It's quite feasible that you'll receive four rejections the first time you apply. That's what gap years are for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df456)
    How have you got 5 As already if youre still in year 12?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df456)
    The application process can be traumatic as the interviewers hurl very challenging questions at candidates.
    "Traumatic" :lolwut:

Other than doing the BMAT its not that much more effort than applying to anywhere else. Other med schools also interview y'know.

No not at all - remove prestige from your thoughts.

However... there are so many other reasons to pick Oxbridge. Just like there are differences between other unis. You paint a picture like if prestige is the same then the universities are the same. Completely not true - medicine is one of the most varied courses you can apply to, not to mention all the other factors to consider when applying to uni. I list reasons to apply to Oxford in this thread but the overall message is that you should research courses and unis in detail - it makes a lot of difference.

(Original post by df456)
    It might. Oxbridge does intercalation for all which includes a research project and the course overall has a heavy research focus. A relatively high proportion of students do PhDs. Its not an over-extension to say that you might be better prepared for medical research than some other med schools, although that avenue is open to an extent for all medical graduates.

(Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    I mean, I don't really see what you lose from applying. The interview is 1 day...
    I Cambridge is indeed one day but Oxford is normally 4-5 interviews over two days.

(Original post by JRKinder)
    . I know someone who got in and said their interviews weren't that great...
    That almost certainly means they did very well. Its those that come out thinking it was easy that have missed the point of the interview and failed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    That almost certainly means they did very well. Its those that come out thinking it was easy that have missed the point of the interview and failed.
    Not necessarily, at my interview two people walked out of theirs immediately and said "I think I've got in"... and did. Another walked out saying it hadn't gone well... and didn't get in. Another thought it went badly and did. There's just no way to really know what the interviewers are thinking, but I think it's reasonable to assume that a higher BMAT score will at least give you a tiny bit of space for mistakes, as opposed to a lower BMAT score.

ReputationRep:
    How does its research focus compare to other universities that do intercalated degrees for medicine? Does an intercalated degree in general give a boost for a career in research?

(Original post by nexttime)
    "Traumatic" :lolwut:

Other than doing the BMAT its not that much more effort than applying to anywhere else. Other med schools also interview y'know.

No not at all - remove prestige from your thoughts.

However... there are so many other reasons to pick Oxbridge. Just like there are differences between other unis. You paint a picture like if prestige is the same then the universities are the same. Completely not true - medicine is one of the most varied courses you can apply to, not to mention all the other factors to consider when applying to uni. I list reasons to apply to Oxford in this thread but the overall message is that you should research courses and unis in detail - it makes a lot of difference.

It might. Oxbridge does intercalation for all which includes a research project and the course overall has a heavy research focus. A relatively high proportion of students do PhDs. Its not an over-extension to say that you might be better prepared for medical research than some other med schools, although that avenue is open to an extent for all medical graduates.

I Cambridge is indeed one day but Oxford is normally 4-5 interviews over two days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df456)
    How does its research focus compare to other universities that do intercalated degrees for medicine? Does an intercalated degree in general give a boost for a career in research?
    It is an opportunity to get publications and explore an area of interest. It probably does give a boost yes.

It certainly does for FY1 applications anyway - intercalation gets you extra points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Himtiaz)
    How have you got 5 As already if youre still in year 12?
    Scottish highers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df456)
    I'm currently intercalating at Cardiff. Having spoken to several lecturers and clinical researchers an intercalated degree is almost a given for any medic seriously interested in research. This is not to say that those who have not intercalated will never be involved in research but one could consider an intercalation as a statement of intent, of sorts.

It's also useful as it gives you a general idea of what you like. For instance two of my other housemates are intercalating and they absolutely hate lab-work so they know that they will be going no-where near labs every again after they have finished their dissertations.

tl;dr - intercalation is useful for researchers and also allows you to see whether you suit/fit research.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.