The cost of Sport at University

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    I've just got back from team trials for Tennis and have been told that for the year to play competitive in the BUCS league system I have to pay £400, and to play in the social club its £100 for the year.

Is this normal for universities to charge students? What are your experiences with university sport and do you think it's fair considering we already pay £9000 to study?

I mean they don't really make it accessible for students and I feel if they made it more accessible without the big price tag then more people would get involved and that can only be a good thing for students physical and mental health? And in turn this could link to an increase in performance of their studies maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Moved to uni life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwaggyD)
    I've just got back from team trials for Tennis and have been told that for the year to play competitive in the BUCS league system I have to pay £400, and to play in the social club its £100 for the year.

Is this normal for universities to charge students? What are your experiences with university sport and do you think it's fair considering we already pay £9000 to study?

I mean they don't really make it accessible for students and I feel if they made it more accessible without the big price tag then more people would get involved and that can only be a good thing for students physical and mental health? And in turn this could link to an increase in performance of their studies maybe?
    The £9K is for tuition, not games.

Games are rather expensive, I'm afraid. Some are more expensive than others, but it's quite normal to have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    For us I believe the sports teams are pretty independent from the uni. The fact we pay £9000 is irrelevant because it's related to the union, not the university itself.

I'm paying £75 for archery and £65 for fencing. I don't feel it's entirely unreasonable. I'm paying for venue rent (one takes place at the gym, the other at a local school), the equipment (both to use and to be maintained by professionals), all the related training that goes along with it and so on. If I wanted I could pay a lot more. I do intend to purchase my own archery gear and I'm expecting to spend upwards of £300 for fairly entry level stuff. At least one person has a bow costing over £1500 alone. So yeah, sports are expensive.

£400 is pretty steep though. Have you discussed this to find out where the money goes and why it is so expensive? I'd be very surprised if I were told I needed to pay £400 to compete. Both archery and fencing use the payment to help cover transport and otehr fees relating to the events.

I wouldn't have an issue with the £100 fee but the £400 one seems a little odd. But then I'm not familiar with the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I'm paying £75 for archery and £65 for fencing.
    Were you on the team today, 1 PM?

ReputationRep:
    Societies, clubs, sport etc will come under the remit of your Student Union rather than your university. The SU will get a contribution towards costs from the uni, but each uni/SU can make their own funding arrangements. It could be that the SU has a relatively low sum from the uni which is spread thinly across all activities. Or maybe the SU has decided to provide less subsidy for BUCS activity in favour of other clubs/sports/societies.

Talk to your Student Union rep to find out how it works at your uni. You might make a case for your sport to get a bigger subsidy, but you need to understand that there's a finite pot of money - getting more money for your sport will involve taking money away from other SU activities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Were you on the team today, 1 PM?
    I was not involved with any of the events from today I'm afraid. Probably a good thing though, I only joined the fencing society 2 weeks ago during the taster sessions. My first proper session is on Friday. Don't expect to see me at any tournaments hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sports are really expensive, especially more popular ones. Once you see the kind of money that the running costs you quickly see why membership prices are sky high.

ReputationRep:
    it is normal to pay for sports at university, although they are normally heavily subsidized by the university. 400 pounds sounds extremely expensive... it was normal for to pay 10 pounds for membership and then 2/3 pounds for individual training sessions, so 100 pounds for the whole year of training sessions (especially if they run 2/3 times a week) is reasonable. But it didn't cost anymore to be within the BUCS league system. In fact, they encouraged us and provided many bursaries/scholarships/subsidies to the competitive athletes.

ReputationRep:
    It's normal. £400 isn't expensive because it's competitive. I did cheerleading while at uni and it was also extremely expensive to compete - there are large costs associated (eg training facilities, tutors, possibly hotels/entry fees). For an entire year it's reasonable.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles:

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.