Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

best way to ask for work experience? Watch

    • Community Assistant
    • Thread Starter

    could I have some advice please? I'm in college and we have to do a 3 week placement around Easter, but what's the best way to go around asking for work experience?

    do I just go into the place where I want to go and ask to speak to someone about having work experence?

    or do I write a letter or email or phone about asking for some work experience?

    I haven't don't this since year 10 and all we did was have a form which the employer needed to fill in, but we don't have that this time (just the dates - we do have forms they need to fill in however we don't get those until the company agree to the work experience).

    also our tutor said perhaps not use email because its unreliable since shops and businesses etc, have lots of emails and it could get lost in their inbox

    also would shops etc even reply to my mail work experience request or should I just phone (I'd like to avoid this as I heavily dislike using the phone), or go into the place I want to go and ask for someone who deals with work experience, and take a covering letter & cv with me?

    and who would I adress in the letter/email? SIr or Madam or the company / shop name?

    thank you
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

    (Original post by bizzy_penguin)
    Exactly the same way you'd apply for a job, send a CV (showing evidence of relevant skills) and a covering letter (saying why you want to do this sort of work, how w/e with this organisation would help you, and what your best 3 skills are to show you'd be good at the job). The only difference is at the start of the opening letter, instead of being saying

    This is an application for the role of shop assistant, as advertised in your shop window.

    You say something like

    This is a speculative application for work experience as a shop assistant in [shop name].

    If you don't know the name of the Manager/Head of the organisation, then writing to Dear Manager will be good enough.

    I'd write, ie print the two documents out, put them in an envelope and either post or hand deliver it, addressed to The Manager if you don't have a name.
What is your favourite film genre?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.