The Student Room Group

LLM Law and MSc Management at UCL and KCL

I'm in deliberation over whether to apply to both universities for the LLM Law or the MSc Management Course.

I am currently in my final year studying LLB Law and has achieved a good 2:1, just shy of 65%.

I would like to know whether it is easier to get into Management or Law in the above specified universities. Does anyone know whether Law/Management is more competitive at UCL and KCL?

Thanks very much!!
I don't think there's an easier or harder answer to this. Pick the course that's more interesting and relevant to what you want to do and if you have a strong application you shouldn't have a problem.
What do you want to do career-wise? Neither degree is necessary for careers in law or management.
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
I don't think there's an easier or harder answer to this. Pick the course that's more interesting and relevant to what you want to do and if you have a strong application you shouldn't have a problem.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am unsure what I am more interested in. However, I am interested in getting into either universities and would appreciate if anyone can enlighten me on whether one university over another is easier to get into in the specified subjects.

I have experience in societies and have attended a couple of inter-university debating competitions. I have volunteered at the CAB. I have learnt many transferrable skills through my participation.

Unfortunately, I do not have any internship/work experience. Is my application 'weak'?
Reply 4
Original post by Duncan2012
What do you want to do career-wise? Neither degree is necessary for careers in law or management.

I am interested in personal banking.

Neither courses will be especially advantageous or disadvantageous to what I am trying to achieve. However, as I am not studying a quantitative subject, I am unable to apply to any of the finance courses. Therefore, I am resorted to Law or Management.

In your opinion, which university and course do you reckon is easier to get into? THanks very much!
Hey everyone,

I've got the same issue, I'm taking a year out after graduation to save up before doing a maters degree. I am looking to do my law masters in London. Looking at LLM's at Brunel and Westminster because they have good intellectual property programmes also I've seen an MSc in Intellectual Property at Queen Mary.

I'm looking to have a career in research so may be different for me but I dunno if a MSc would be better than an LLM?
Reply 6
Original post by selfridges123
Hey everyone,

I've got the same issue, I'm taking a year out after graduation to save up before doing a maters degree. I am looking to do my law masters in London. Looking at LLM's at Brunel and Westminster because they have good intellectual property programmes also I've seen an MSc in Intellectual Property at Queen Mary.

I'm looking to have a career in research so may be different for me but I dunno if a MSc would be better than an LLM?

I am currently studying at QM on the MSc Management of IP you've mentioned.

There is no difference between an LLM and MSc in terms of quality. Both are master degrees.

If the Queen Mary MSc is not titled LLM it is because its first aim is to give science graduate the chance to get exempted from certain exams before qualifying as patents attorneys. And those graduates usually can't access LLM programmes due to the nature of their first degree (the Bachelor of Laws is usually required for entry).
However, the MSc is not restricted to science graduates, as I hold a law degree myself and still got in.

You should first choose your programme in function of electives they are offering. Which one do you find more interesting? This is very important and students sometimes underestimate the importance of having a tailored programme that suits your aspirations.

However, bear in mind that reputation matters. Especially in the UK, if you plan on working here - Queen Mary is a top university for law, especially at postgraduate level, and would enhance your career prospects. Brunel and Westminster are average.

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending