Is my school being unfair?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    In Year 12 I failed my AS Maths even though in class I was getting C-B Grades but I was ill during that exam season as well. My teachers aren't letting me do A2 Maths so I planned to sit it externally and self teach myself with the addition of having a tutor as well. My other classes are fine in terms of predicted grades in my having a A in Business and a B in Pyshcology which I'm happy with.

The only problem is that my teacher wants me sit another year at school for just A2 Maths and wants me to sit in AS Lessons which I really don't want to do as I know I can self teach myself A2 Maths especially with my tutor and also I already understand AS and know the exams will go better next time round but because my Head of 6th Form wants me to stay another year she is saying that she'll only give me a prediction of a E grade which I find really unfair considering last year it was a B/A meaning that they're being really unfair. I know it is a risk to my school for me to sit it externally as it still affects them but they can't do this can they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaX5)
    In Year 12 I failed my AS Maths
    My Teacher...wants me to sit in AS Lessons which I really don't want to do as I know I can self teach myself A2 Maths

Can you see the problem there...?

ReputationRep:
    In Year 12 I failed my AS Maths even though in class I was getting C-B Grades but I was ill during that exam season as well. My teachers aren't letting me do A2 Maths so I planned to sit it externally and self teach myself with the addition of having a tutor as well. My other classes are fine in terms of predicted grades in my having a A in Business and a B in Pyshcology which I'm happy with.

The only problem is that my teacher wants me sit another year at school for just A2 Maths and wants me to sit in AS Lessons which I really don't want to do as I know I can self teach myself A2 Maths especially with my tutor and also I already understand AS and know the exams will go better next time round but because my Head of 6th Form wants me to stay another year she is saying that she'll only give me a prediction of a E grade which I find really unfair considering last year it was a B/A meaning that they're being really unfair. I know it is a risk to my school for me to sit it externally as it still affects them but they can't do this can they?
    I don't know she is doing it for your benefit tbh. I continued on to A2 with a C and it was so hard. A2 maths gets really hard and is a bigger jump from GCSE to AS. What were your other grades? How comes they were not effected when you were ill? How about you agree with her to sitting in AS maths and then sitting A2 privately. Tell her to predict you a C so you can get some offers and you understand how she is being caring with her not getting any funding for you in the third year but you want to try and get to uni this year. Most places will give you an offer if your predicted ABC. Also I wouldn't recommend sitting externally. Why don't you say your willing to do tests to show you can do it. Why don't your maths teachers back you up if you are good maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Yes I can but I've tried to show them countless times that I'm capable of doing it and even if they don't sit me in the lesson then that's fine as well but they know I performed well in the class and that the exam didn't go well for me as well.

ReputationRep:

It's hardly unfair. You screwed up the AS exams the first time round and so they would doubt whether or not you're capable of doing the A2 modules.Also, how ill do you have to be to screw up that badly?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I can but I've tried to show them countless times that I'm capable of doing it and even if they don't sit me in the lesson then that's fine as well but they know I performed well in the class and that the exam didn't go well for me as well.
    I appreciate what you're saying but you must see that if you've failed AS then there's a significant chance you'll fail A2 and they want to do as much as possible to mitigate this risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    I don't know she is doing it for your benefit tbh. I continued on to A2 with a C and it was so hard. A2 maths gets really hard and is a bigger jump from GCSE to AS. What were your other grades? How comes they were not effected when you were ill? How about you agree with her to sitting in AS maths and then sitting A2 privately. Tell her to predict you a C so you can get some offers and you understand how she is being caring with her not getting any funding for you in the third year but you want to try and get to uni this year. Most places will give you an offer if your predicted ABC. Also I wouldn't recommend sitting externally. Why don't you say your willing to do tests to show you can do it. Why don't your maths teachers back you up if you are good maths?
    For Business I got a A and Pyshcology I got a C in my AS Grades and the match exam just weren't my day really and then I think I worked myself to exhaustion as well the night before and Yes I do understand that you don't get funding for the 3rd Year but I had hoped to get into Uni this year not the year after which is the same time as my sister as well and well I only had one teacher for maths last year and he left now as well.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate what you're saying but you must see that if you've failed AS then there's a significant chance you'll fail A2 and they want to do as much as possible to mitigate this risk.
    Yeah and I perfectly get that but I know ill out the whole in to stop this from happening again is the thing and I know I can do well but if she is going to give me a low prediction then there is no point in me starting A2 until next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miless090)
    It's hardly unfair. You screwed up the AS exams the first time round and so they would doubt whether or not you're capable of doing the A2 modules.Also, how ill do you have to be to screw up that badly?
    Well the exams just weren't really my day and after seeing the previous one I worked even harder and worked myself to exhaustion basically was the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Well the exams just weren't really my day and after seeing the previous one I worked even harder and worked myself to exhaustion basically was the problem.
    The school is being very caring to be honest they don't want you to mess up. You can try what I told you. Also doing well in class and the exam is a totally different thing. If you had to sit a C1,C2 and your applied module in a week what would you get with all honesty?

ReputationRep:
    Seems you gave them a Reality Check!

ReputationRep:
    They're being completely fair. You failed the AS, and you're refusing to attend lessons to do better next time. Since you failed the AS it's reasonable to assume you're not going to do brilliantly in the full A Level.

If you had a serious illness then you would have got special consideration from the exam board. If you weren't that ill it wouldn't have affected you that badly.

ReputationRep:
    If you fail the AS, you aren't going to pass the A2.
    If you were seriously ill then your school would have applied for special consideration. They're trying to support you by offering extra classes but if you're not willing to take them then its on you unfortunately.
    That might sound harsh, but the school sound fair to me.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.