Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    People on tv always seem to blurt out saying and are respected for it, it comes up in quizes, it may take you to a higher plateu(give the spelling a chance). I was thinking of reading but would like opinions on it.

ReputationRep:
    its been change too many times in my opinion, i dnt even no what lang it was revealed in, i mean it aint latin nor greek, i think its either hebrew or aramic, i dnt even no to be honest

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother - there is better fiction out there.

ReputationRep:
    what i would say is that, if you really feeling bored then u might aswel read it, but otherwise forget it, i mean, the way it blabs about some prophet makes me sick. prophets that are sent by God should be sinners, yet it says bad things about some of them, i.e. david, which displeases me

ReputationRep:
    I think it was later than aramaic.

(Original post by Daibhidh)
    People on tv always seem to blurt out saying and are respected for it, it comes up in quizes, it may take you to a higher plateu(give the spelling a chance). I was thinking of reading but would like opinions on it.
    If what you say is true, then go for it.

IMO we should be forced to read the holy books of all major religions (whatever our own beliefs), doing so allows us to gain an insight on the principles by which so many people claim to live. In the case of the bible, it is usually taken as the foundation of our laws (allegedly) and therefore anyone seeking to understand the world around them would do well to read it.

ReputationRep:
    if ur a christian or thinking of becoming 1 then yes, if not then no

ReputationRep:
    makes a good door stop if you don't like it and well it's the best selling work of fiction ever so might as well nick one from a hotel next time you're bored

(Original post by Leekey)
    IMO we should be forced to read the holy books of all major religions (whatever our own beliefs), doing so allows us to gain an insight on the principles by which so many people claim to live. In the case of the bible, it is usually taken as the foundation of our laws (allegedly) and therefore anyone seeking to understand the world around them would do well to read it.
    Considering as how must holy scriptures are too long and complex to take in without years of theological training/study I think the current RE course will do for the time being.

(Original post by roseonthegrave)
    Considering as how must holy scriptures are too long and complex to take in without years of theological training/study I think the current RE course will do for the time being.
    I suggest a good flurry of translation before any attemp be made.

Sure, it makes for some fun reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Sure, it makes for some fun reading.
    yeah lots of gags in there

(Original post by BloodyValentine)
    yeah lots of gags in there
    "At that time the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he went throughout the land of Gilead and Manasseh, including Mizpah in Gilead, and led an army against the Ammonites. And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD. He said, "If you give me victory over the Ammonites, I will give to the LORD the first thing coming out of my house to greet me when I return in triumph. I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

HIL-ARIOUS!

ReputationRep:
    Well, the old testiment is easy enough to understand, but the new testiment is a lot harder.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen the Bible used plenty of times for people to justify their own prejudices. By reading the Bible you can criticise and attack them on that note. There is this 'Christian' movement who thinks homosexuals should be put to death blah blah blah quoting Levictus. I take it they've read the edited version which does not contain Exodus no?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I am an atheist and I have read quite a lot of the old testament just because it's interesting as a historical document. If you are gonna read it then read the king james edition. If you want some good places to start then I suggest Ruth (which is good and very short) and ecclesiastes (my favourite)

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Ok, I am an atheist and I have read quite a lot of the old testament just because it's interesting as a historical document. If you are gonna read it then read the king james edition. If you want some good places to start then I suggest Ruth (which is good and very short) and ecclesiastes (my favourite)

MB
    yay!!!
    sorry, i just get excited cos my name is a bible book!!

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, the bible is (according to all statistics ) the most read book in the world. But how do we know the whole book isn't just somone's very long, very prolific 'dear diary' moment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    yay!!!
    sorry, i just get excited cos my name is a bible book!!
    But are you good and very short like Musicboy says? :rolleyes:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.