The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

blissy
It's really useful for my English degree :biggrin:

Why?
Reply 41
NDGAARONDI
Why?

Because there are hundreds and hundred of obscure references to the bible in nearly everything. It's an interesting side-note and can prove to be useful in revealing another aspect that you might not have got otherwise.

edit: the bible is on next term's reading list, so I'm one book up :biggrin: Just some revision methinks.
blissy
It's an interesting side-note and can prove to be useful in revealing another aspect that you might not have got otherwise.

Perhaps, but whether these other aspects are useful for other people like myself are a different matter.

blissy
edit: the bible is on next term's reading list, so I'm one book up :biggrin: Just some revision methinks.

Ugh. I bet non-Christians will kick up a fuss, unless you're studying religion or something.
Reply 43
NDGAARONDI
Perhaps, but whether these other aspects are useful for other people like myself are a different matter.

Ugh. I bet non-Christians will kick up a fuss, unless you're studying religion or something.

Well they are useful because why would the author put them there if not for a purpose?

No, as this is an English degree and we are expected to read a lot of things, many of which we may not like (writing and the unconscious - yuk). The medieval paper requries it as every literate person would have read the bible, so we know it as a literary source and a HUGE influence :biggrin:. People aren't stupid enough to let their not wanting to do something interfere with their studies, surely?
Reply 44
piginapoke
You've not read the lot have you?? Its ridiculously hard going reading it.

Breakfast time at Blissy's sounds like a hoot :smile:
Reply 45
piginapoke
You've not read the lot have you?? Its ridiculously hard going reading it.

LOL my dad decided Lamentations wasn't suitable for me and insisted I skipped the "so and so begat so and so" when it went on for more than a few lines. My favourite book was Revelation *menacing look*#

I was a total swot in Sunday School!
Reply 46
piginapoke
At the time, were you aware of the symbolism, or took it at face value?

What exactly do you mean by "symbolism"?
Reply 47
piginapoke
Dragons and all that.

I read it literally (not at "face value" as that seems almost demeaning) as a prophecy.
Reply 48
How cool is the idea of that all happening when you're 8?
Reply 49
blissy
How cool is the idea of that all happening when you're 8?

Are you still religious?
Reply 50
Lord Huntroyde
Are you still religious?

I don't know.
blissy
Well they are useful because why would the author put them there if not for a purpose?

Sometimes books they put on the reading list aren't too vital. Not necessarily for your degree, but I have noted on others.

blissy
The medieval paper requries it as every literate person would have read the bible, so we know it as a literary source and a HUGE influence :biggrin:. People aren't stupid enough to let their not wanting to do something interfere with their studies, surely?

Do you read any text relating to King Arthur and Merlin? :rolleyes:

They could choose other religious texts though possibly.
Reply 52
piginapoke
Better things happen in Lord of the Rings tbh.

I've always preferred greek mythology, at least their gods had obvious powers and sex lives.
Reply 53
No, it's a load of shit!
Reply 54
NDGAARONDI

Do you read any text relating to King Arthur and Merlin? :rolleyes:

They could choose other religious texts though possibly.

Yes.

They don't really have the same bearing on Medieval literature. They don't really care too much about political correctness, just relevance to the course.
Reply 55
The Bible is definitely worth reading. I would start with Matthew, first book of the New Testement. Even without religious believes the New Testement has a lot of quite perceptive stuff written about human nature. The Bible is an amazing book, although I can see why some people see it as boring or pointless cus I used to think so until I read it! Btw the Bible is perhaps one of the most accurate historical pieces, if nothing else, so the Bible is far fropm fiction even without religious influences. Read it you won't regret it!
irisng
Btw the Bible is perhaps one of the most accurate historical pieces, if nothing else, so the Bible is far fropm fiction even without religious influences. Read it you won't regret it!

We've had this debate over its accuracy before. Have you not seen it?
Reply 57
Daibhidh
People on tv always seem to blurt out saying and are respected for it, it comes up in quizes, it may take you to a higher plateu(give the spelling a chance). I was thinking of reading but would like opinions on it.

I am not a christian but I read it because I felt that is was important that I understand where people that I often clash with interms of oppinion ect are coming from.
Reply 58
get your hands on a copy of the Street Bible by Rob Lacey - i was priveleged enough to see Rob Lacey himself telling his version of Genesis - absolutely brilliant.
randdom
I am not a christian but I read it because I felt that is was important that I understand where people that I often clash with interms of oppinion ect are coming from.

I am not a Christian either but have only read parts where it arises accordingly. As I did with the capital punishment excuses.

Latest

Trending

Trending