Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The question states;

A student uses a microwave oven to warm up a cup of cold tea.

Thermal energy is supplied to the tea at a rate of 750 W. The tea has a mass of 0.42 kg and an initial temperature of 17 degrees C. Calculate the final temperature of the tea. Assume the specific heat capacity of the tea is 4200 J kg-1 K-1.

I understand how to calculate the final temperature, but first I have to change the 750 Watts into joules, however, the question gives no time which I can use for the equation Q = Power x time.

Am I missing something obvious here, or has the question been printed incorrectly?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Must be printed incorrectly, can't see any way around it

ReputationRep:
    Agree. Someone forgot to tell you how long the thing's being heated for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.