Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainygal)
    As someone who is trying to recoverfrom anorexia atm i was really interested to read this thread as a size 12 will be my 'healthy' weight. I look at people such as nicole richie etc and no longer see glamourous but ill. I hoped that this thread would reinforce the message I am trying to give myself, that a size 12 is in fact healthy and not fat for a 175cm tall girl. for the most part it has suceeded
    Reading that made me really glad I started this thread I'm pleased it's helped you in some way and you can see that the only people who think emaciation is attractive are anorexics themselves and girls who are susceptible to it (I'm worried that potentially I am because I've been slipping into that mindframe a lot lately). Good luck with getting better x

ReputationRep:
    i think it depends on your frame, you can tell by your face and frame how overweight your are, i mean you can tell if people are just big boned or not and depends on your ehgih.
    if iwas a size 12 i proabbly would be overweight as i have a smallish frame even tho my mum says i should be 12 on top because of my chest size i it is never the case, i am im deffo no more than 10 at most, but if i was taller and my skeleton and muscles were bigger then a size 12 would be normal

edit: another thing, sometimes u see womens ribs if they breathe in too much or are too skinny. what is the point in being thin and seeing ribs!! i just dont get it, so really it is about hvaingthe right amoun of weight and muscle that you cant see ribs but you can feel bone releatively easily in most of your body so you dont have too much excess.. i think

and if u dont have a ton of chins

ReputationRep:
    Thanks chocolateeyes and noisette1, that means a lot

ReputationRep:
    I'd never call a size 12 'slim', but that's not what you're asking. I'm a 12 and it's a helathy weight/size for me, but I'd still love to be slimmer. So while it isn't fat, I'm personally not happy being one.

I know the media hype up the size 4 thing, but it equally annoys me when they talk about 'curvy' girls when they mean fat girls. It's usually these teen magazines, and their aim is to make girls more comfortable in their bodies, which is a good one (although completely contradicted by their adverts), but it annoys me no end. Curvy doesn't equal fat. You can be a curvy six or a straight up and down 30. Grrrr.

ReputationRep:
    Definately not considered fat. Not for your height! Size 12 is a nice healthy weight and looks great on alot of people when your wearing the right clothes and you are confident within yourself. I get a bit annoyed when people moan about the media making people want to lose weight etc, i agree that they do and its wrong but what about the other end of the spectrum?? Im naturally a size 6/8 and 5 ft7. I eat like a horse and can not gain weight. I feel under presssure to gain weight and be deemed "attractive" and "a real woman" its so bloody upsetting to think that people see you as simply some kind of unnatractive stick insect. I am lucky as although im skinny iv got quite big boobs and an fairly curvy but before i developed properly i used to get bullied for being so skinny and it is not a pleasant experience.

Anyway, back to OP.. u are definately not fat and do not feel pressured to lost weight!! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    I'd never call a size 12 'slim', but that's not what you're asking. I'm a 12 and it's a helathy weight/size for me, but I'd still love to be slimmer. So while it isn't fat, I'm personally not happy being one.

I know the media hype up the size 4 thing, but it equally annoys me when they talk about 'curvy' girls when they mean fat girls. It's usually these teen magazines, and their aim is to make girls more comfortable in their bodies, which is a good one (although completely contradicted by their adverts), but it annoys me no end. Curvy doesn't equal fat. You can be a curvy six or a straight up and down 30. Grrrr.
    :banghead:
    (Jesus, Mary and Joseph)
    if a size 12 is not fat and it's not thin then it is 'slim'.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    There's nothing between slim and fat?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    how about average, just right...mmmm

ReputationRep:
    Also, curvy does not mean fat.

ReputationRep:

Anyone ever thinking a size 12 is considered fat or big or whatever is...pretty twisted. Media obsessions can really mess people up...It's a shame things have gone really silly with "size"...
    At the same time though...
    It upsets me when people who are actually too thin and struggling and not too big get told to "Eat a *********g burger"...like that helps them loads...

At any rate like everyone else has said, for your height and everything, you're pretty perfect in size so don't worry about it ^^

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    No, I wouldn't say it is. 'Slim' is pretty much the same as thin, really
    I reckon in this area though they have different meanings for a lot of people. 'Thin' to me in terms of body shapes implies emaciated, slim means small but healthy-looking. I'd say 'average' about someone who wasn't full on fat, but has a few flabby bits.

(Original post by xWishbonex)
    It upsets me when people who are actually too thin and struggling and not too big get told to "Eat a *********g burger"...like that helps them loads...
    Yeah, either thats being straight out nasty about someone's naturally slight figure or it's being completely insensitive towards a serious mental illness. Either way it shouldn't be said.

ReputationRep:
    My friend is about 5'11'' and is a size 12, i would call her slim. Nothing else, she's not 'average-sized'...but then that's my personal opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    im glad to see that other people are sticking up for us skinnies lol. I totally understand the pressure on people who feel "large" but it seriously HACKS ME OFF that i get told to "eat some pies" all the time. I eat soooooo much and i hardly ever exercise any more for fear i wont gain any weight. I hate weight issues THEY SUCK xxx

ReputationRep:
    ^^ You're rite.. They do suck! For EVERYONE!

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame that Jen Hunter (or whatever her name is, can't remember) is considered too big to be a model. She looks amazing and it might actually do some good to have some "normal" sized girls on the catwalks. Obviously the clothes being modelled won't look great on a obese person but I personally don't think they look that great hanging off a really tall, very thin person either. In the article linked on another page, the other girl looked terrible in my opinion. I don't understand how anyone could say she looks better than the woman who is considered "too fat".

I started losing weight a couple of months ago and at the time I was just about fitting in to my size 12 jeans. I still wear those jeans for work and now they are constantly falling down but when I tried on a size 12 pair of jeans on at the weekend they were too tight. A pair of size 10 jeans in a different shop were a bit too baggy. Sizes piss me off.

As a size 12 I was pretty chunky because I'm only a short arse. As you can see by my sig I am trying to lose weight but not too much. I'd like to be probably be a stone to a stone smaller or a size "8-10" if you like your dress sizes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noisette1)
    Hi, I'm a size 12 and always have been. Nobody has ever said I'm fat but lately the media obsession with weight has made me aware that some people actually consider a size 12 to be fat eg. Jen Hunter, Make me a supermodel (google her) :confused:

I was just wondering how many people agree with this? I'm trying to slim down to a size 10, which as far as I know has never been considered a fat size, but should I just learn to be happy as a 12? I know it depends on body type sometimes but I'm about 5''7 so average height.
    Thanks
    definitely depends on your body type. do you see any rolls of fat hanging off your body? lumpy bits? no? then you're probably not fat.

ReputationRep:
    it's really sad that anything over a size 6 seems to be considered fat these days.

I'm 5ft 9 and weigh about 9 stone, have a BMI of roughly the very bottom end of healthy or underweight and yet I'm a size 12 in some shops I go into. I know full well I'm not fat but I sure feel it when I can't get into a size ten trousers :| if I weighed any less at this height i'd probably look emaciated but according to the media it's still not good enough.

honestly, as long as you're healthy ignore clothing sizes in shops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheesyBeans)
    As a size 12 I was pretty chunky because I'm only a short arse. As you can see by my sig I am trying to lose weight but not too much. I'd like to be probably be a stone to a stone smaller or a size "8-10" if you like your dress sizes.
    Your weight loss is really impressive...Sorry if that sounds patronising but I'm rubbish at losing weight and people who can actually stick to it impress me!

I think I look a tad chunky at a 12 but I'm pretty short too. My legs are fine, but my top half looks a bit rounder than I'd like it to, I quite like being a 10 on top and a 12 bottom...Oh well, roll on starting uni again and cheap gym prices!

ReputationRep:
    Im size 12 5ft 2
    I realy think im fat- is that fat can someone tell me?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to warn against BMI as it doesn't take into account build of your body. Same as people only trusting their scales. I am a size 10-12 (dependent on which store I shop in as no one size is the same anymore) I am toned and am heavier because I am a runner. Muscle weighs more than fat, so the BMI tells me I am overweight, (5ft 5 and 70kg) but I am very toned, and I don't look out of proportion or overweight - I am hourglass shaped and Bravissimo curvy. I'll put into context, my back size on my bra is 30 but my chest size would be equivalent to a size 16.

If you look like you need a good meal you are likely to be unhealthy ( I know some people are naturally very thin and not anorexic, so people need to be careful about how they address that) and you can be bigger and unhealthy. It is very easy to tell if someone is overweight and unhealthy which is what people base their arguments on.

I do not think a size 12 is overweight unless you are 4ft tall and proportionally you would be out of whack. I have a friend who is my height but can fit into children's clothes, but she is very small ALL OVER her bone structure is small, I am in the middle (curvy ness and medium build and I build muscle fast) and my other friend is like an Amazon, she is 5ft 9 and a size 16 - but isn't overweight at all she runs marathons and plays hockey.

I know I will never get into a size 8 as its not my build - likewise I know I will never be a size 18 unless I eat Maccy D's all day every day and it might take a good few years and no movement whatsoever.

It all depends on your individual metabolism, your own bone structure, your parents bone structure (think about it, if you're dad's family are all very tall and your mum's are all curvy - chances are you're gonna be tall and curvy.) but it doesn't mean you are fat. Magazines and tv over-focus on 'what we think looks good to promote our clothes aka smaller sizes look better in photographs and give people something to visualise how they COULD look in that brand of clothing = marketing hype'

What they should focus on is what is HEALTHY I'd say 90% of models are unhealthy. They look gaunt, have sunken in eyes, protruding bones, and blank miserable expressions. I just wonder how many of them see normal curvy girls walking down the street and wish they had your curvy butt or boobs or healthy hair or happy smile.

Being healthy is more important than your clothes size, check your progress if you must lose weight by measuring body parts - waist, hips, chest, arms, thighs etc and exercise and eat healthily. You can tell by looking at yourself whether you are overweight or not as you will have excess 'flabby bits' on say your thighs, stomach, butt, back. if you are a girl you also have to keep in mind we are all genetically built to retain more fat than men. Any models that have the 8yr old boy physique are either pre puberty or have a lower dose of oestrogen in their systems - personally I'd rather look female and have my booty n boobs than have no shape - despite what the media says. Love how you are. Work to get yourself to the max toned version of yourself and feel good about your own unique look.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.