How to be a competitive post-grad candidate.

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    So im due to start studying neuroscience in September which is what I've akways wanted to do. However I'm thinking about the possibility of postgraduate medicine in the future. I know it's very competitive. So I was wondering what things peoole recomend I do over the next 4 years to make myself a good candidate?

ReputationRep:
    1. Get a 1st in your degree
    2. Get work experience early
    3.?????
    4. Profit

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you get a 2:1. Only a couple of places ask for a first, but a 2:1 will keep most places open, if you get less you'll be really limited.

Get work experience. Warwick currently ask for 70 hours in the past 2 years when you apply, so don't necessarily get it all early, or if you do acknowledge that you might need more.

It's far into the future, but don't underestimate the value of entrance tests. If it's possible for you and you want to apply to UKCAT unis, maybe sit the UKCAT the summer before you need it to apply as practice is good.

Try and save some money. At the moment you need £3465 in Y1 towards fees, but this may change in subsequent years. Also, it never hurts to have some savings for the long terms in graduate medicine!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a nursing assitant that will count as relevant work experience right? Do you know if there are any GCSE/A level requirements? Or is all of that irrelevant by that point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.JSullivan)
    I'm currently a nursing assitant that will count as relevant work experience right? Do you know if there are any GCSE/A level requirements? Or is all of that irrelevant by that point?
    Yeah, that sounds like really good experience. Some unis have requirements for GCSEs and A-Levels http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...dicine-a-guide
    But there are choices that don't consider earlier achievement.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.