Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_f_x)

Edit: Reverie, got it!
    Noooooooo....lol, good job.

ReputationRep:
    I've always liked Tristram Shandy, apparently an unusual name even in 1759 or whenever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stainedglass)
    Why would someone call their child 'Oak'?

I'm going to be traditional and go along the lines of Jack, James, or Isobelle.

I will save the daft names for my pets. Lysander the fish ftw.
    I think Oak is nice. Very grounded and earthy. Makes me think of someone who works the land, or with animals or trees.

My kids are going to have traditional names (as I said before, Elizabeth and Alexander), but as this thread was about unusual names, I decided to post some wacky ones I liked :p:

My fish is going to be called Urpgore.

(Original post by felixlechat)
    I sympathise completely. I'm a Felix, which I've grown to be OK with, but 9/10 people saying "like the cat (food)?" does start to grate. Alot. My brother has it worse though, he's Fergus. *Shudder*. My parents are unkind.
    I actually adore the name Felix. There is something so majestic about it.

Until you, like me, have suffered humilation because your parents gave you a STOOPID name, you will never know the teasing and miss-spellings.
    I know all about that. For years I have introduced myself and people have gone "what, you're called Aladdin? Where is your magic lamp then?" I'm frequently met with shouts of "how's Jasmine?" and "can I have a ride on your magic carpet".

It's either Aladdin, or Elaine, or E-lar-nin (because they can spell it but not pronounce it), or Elaine-in, or Elly, or Ali, or Alenin, or Alanin, or Alarnin. ARG!

What is so difficult about Elanin?

But you know what, I would totaly inflict the same pain on my kids :p: character building, if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubu)
    no its pronounced jezues think i watched the film when i was about 15 and liked it since then
    As in the Spanish name Jesus? It's very common in Spain, not unusual at all.

ReputationRep:
    I do like Shakespearean baby names. Only the more normal ones though, even I'm not sadistic enough to name my child something like Goneril or Jaquenetta.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with a simple 'Bob'?

xx

ReputationRep:
    I like miliva

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    I do like Shakespearean baby names. Only the more normal ones though, even I'm not sadistic enough to name my child something like Goneril or Jaquenetta.
    I like Shakesperian names too like Regan or Juliet- they sound so dignified lol. I have a bit of a funny name- Fionnuala (Irish for fair shoulders lol)- I go through phases of liking it/hating it but secretly I love being a bit different even if I moan about it constantly when it's spelled/pronounced wrong!

I love Irish baby names and the stories behind them, just don't know whether I would want a child of mine to have to go through life starting every converstion with something like this 'My name's Fionnuala...no not Fiona...Finn-ooh-la...you know what just call me Foo.' as I have and will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jo7007)
    Jo is just the best name ever!!

Very true

ReputationRep:
    priya means the loved one

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to be able to name my daughter after one of my great great great aunts, Trifena (a cornish name, i love it) or Aurora (i always knew i was a disney princess), but my boyfriend (if i end up having kids with him) would never let me.

ReputationRep:
    !xobile

ReputationRep:
    just some of the names i like:

girls: lola, connie, hollie
    boys: jake, chris(topher)

Some different girl names, but the boy ones are quite regular!

Not a big fan of roman names and the like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissHero)
    Very true
    Not really lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissHero)
    Very true
    No, it's not. Jo is a crap name. It's so short and dull, and compeltely and utterly forgettable. I ****ing hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ally Kat)
    My name is Alyssa! I like the name Autumn Rose.
    If my little boy had of been a girl he would have been called Autumn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky2986)
    If my little boy had of been a girl he would have been called Autumn.
    Why would you wnat to call your child after a season, no offence but i think thats just silly like the person who want to call there daughter Devon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Penelope. Pansy. Padma. Parvati.

(no idea why all P's though lol)

xx

i just said parvati to myself and it sounded like i was saying poverty in some wierd american accent. i havent seen harry potter so i have no idea how to pronounce it if it is indeed from harry potter.

didnt someone a few pages back say something like they liked the name gritahe its pronounced typoster it wasnt those actual letters i cant remember what it was but im sure it was pronounced nothing like it was spelt.

ReputationRep:
    Silas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    Why would you wnat to call your child after a season, no offence but i think thats just silly like the person who want to call there daughter Devon.
    Yeah, that's a boy's name, eg Devon Malcolm.

Does anyone know a male called "Jordan" ?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.