Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has it.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt scar from mine, but im like the only person i know that didnt

ReputationRep:
    I thought no scar means that the vaccination hasn't 'taken'?

ReputationRep:
    I was one of the lucky ones, you can hardly see my scar, and its tiny tiny. Mine didnt even burst or anything.

Some of my friends were greusome though, bursting all this green and yellow pus looking stuff and leaving foul scabs for ages afterwards.

Mine just went down, I dont even remember it scabbing over.

ReputationRep:
    I can't find mine, i had it done when I was a wee baby.
    I remember the nurse at school taking my blouse half off infron tof the whole class tring to find it, everyone was starring - the day i wore a shocking pink bra.

ReputationRep:
    mine tiny went anyway on holiday which seemed to draw it up like a spot the scars litterally 3mm if that. but bio-oil would probz fade it other than that scrubbing it may make it flatter.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the whole point was that you had a scar and that from that people (ie medical staff) could always tell if you'd had a BCG?

ReputationRep:
    Mine went really weird and is now a hole type scar, bit gruesome!

ReputationRep:
    How do I not have one? And I don't remember any of my classmates getting it done either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinyhappy)
    As people have said, bio oil is good - I had it to put on shingles scars, and it really helped with those. Didn't actually put it on my BCG scar, as it was so tiny - but these scars looked pretty similar, so I guess would help!
    I have a shingles scar, on my lower back. It's quite big, and is raised up - looks kinda like the shingles itself, but a scar version. what's this bio oil stuff, and were your shingles scars similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tetrahydrocannabinol.)
    How do I not have one? And I don't remember any of my classmates getting it done either
    I think that some Health Authorities stopped doing them in schools as standard a few years back, although I don't know if they've now started doing them again. I'd imagine that if you're worried (and it is a good idea to have it) you could ask your GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    You may want to get the vaccination:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/hpa/news/artic.../070322_tb.htm
    not everybody has it now. my brother's in year 10 and he was deemed 'not at risk' so didn't have it. even though my grandad had tuberculosis. hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the rest of us are going to run out of protection fairly soon (in about 5 years for me, i think). I've never heard of adults receiving the BCG again, so i guess they just don't bother.

I haven't got one :proud:

ReputationRep:
    My BCG mark isn't noticeable, its only a little white mark. But I have 4 similar marks up there on my shoulder, the 2 marks where my brother stabbed me with a pen look identical lol

ReputationRep:
    I had my TB injection at school but have never had a scar, how come everyone else seemed to get one and I didn't?? Is it something to do with the immunity or what? Im only have thin arms and am not strong so why don't I have one?

Also how long after having your injection did you get a scar?

ReputationRep:
    The scar is by all means worth it (although I think they've now got an alternative, which doesn't leave a distinct scar). But if you think about it, it's so tiny compared to those marks our parents have had to carry (they're on both of my parents, and they're massive compared to mine) so we should be kind of grateful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saturn)
    I had my TB injection at school but have never had a scar, how come everyone else seemed to get one and I didn't?? Is it something to do with the immunity or what? Im only have thin arms and am not strong so why don't I have one?

Also how long after having your injection did you get a scar?

Whether you get a scar or not has nothing to do with immunity. Personally, i have a scar because it was a tradition for the older years at my school to punch all the Year 7's BCG injection sites, which turned mine black....and pus-filled....and icky... *******s.

ReputationRep:
    Not wishing to worry anyone, but apparently it's possible to get TB despite having had a BCG. There's a woman on the ward where I volunteer who has it depite being immunised. Right pain in the arse it is too, as I have to don gown, gloves and half face mask just to go in to give her her dinner :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A SoapBubble)
    I have a shingles scar, on my lower back. It's quite big, and is raised up - looks kinda like the shingles itself, but a scar version. what's this bio oil stuff, and were your shingles scars similar?
    I had two patches of scars, one has disappeared now, although the other is still there. The patch that is still there sounds like yours, it's raised up and white, and you can still see the individual 'spots'. The bio oil did help though, it made the skin there softer, and the marks less prominent. It also reduced the size of it to about 5cm by 5cm, to about 2 by 2. The smaller patch has faded completely (although this still took a little time, after I finished using bio oil.)
    You can get bio oil at good chemists, or order it online. It's pretty expensive, but I'd recommend it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.