Dating when you still love somebody else

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

So my ex rather brutally dumped me about 4 months ago. For a while I clung on to the hope that he would call me, tell me he still loved me etc. but it has now come apparent that he has moved on. And I need to move on as well

So I have just started seeing this guy. He is ok. Like on paper he would be a pretty good match for me, but I don't fancy him much and I'm still thinking about my ex a lot, and always comparing him to my ex, to whom he doesn't even come close.

Now my dilemma is this; should I continue seeing this guy, because then at least I'm somewhat moving on and it's a distraction ?

Or should I cut things off? And spend more time wallowing over my ex who doesn't want me?

Me and the new guy haven't slept together yet although I reckon that's on the cards for the next time we see each other. I haven't had sex since my ex and I worry I'll get upset and wish it was him. :s

ReputationRep:
    I think you shouldn't jump into a new relationship too quickly, it doesn't mean you should spend the time "wallowing" over your ex, but you can just make sure you're properly over him before getting into something else, because it won't be fair on the new guy, and it won't be the best for you.
    Maybe find something else to take your mind off things?

That's just my opinion... Good luck xo

ReputationRep:
    Hi! We have the exact same problem dude, except that I dumped my ex.

Don't do it, honestly. This may sound so brutal but just end it now. I went into another relationship after my other one, which was two years, and I ended up cheating on her! Which is nothing like me; it was just that I was trying to get attention when the one person I truly wanted it from was the person I broke up with, albeit without all the arguments we used to have and the arrogance she acquired.

I know it can seem really **** and there is always this massive temptation to date but honestly, try and enjoy yourself. Now is the time to work on stuff and do things you couldn't before. Good luck.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.