Should I go to university?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling on deciding whether I should go to university next year or not. I'm already 2 years behind as when I finished secondary school I didn't know what I wanted to study so I didn't do anything for a year. I finished college this year back in June and I'm currently working and deciding if I want to go on to university next year.

However, I don't want to spend my life paying off university debts and stuck in a rut of working 8-5. My true goal in life is to travel and just generally be happy but if I'm going to go to university now is the time to do it as I'm still young and may benefit from the experience.

(Original post by hollyr123)
    I'm really struggling on deciding whether I should go to university next year or not. I'm already 2 years behind as when I finished secondary school I didn't know what I wanted to study so I didn't do anything for a year. I finished college this year back in June and I'm currently working and deciding if I want to go on to university next year.

However, I don't want to spend my life paying off university debts and stuck in a rut of working 8-5. My true goal in life is to travel and just generally be happy but if I'm going to go to university now is the time to do it as I'm still young and may benefit from the experience.
    You cna go to uni at any age. two years is a very small amount of time and there will be people there of all ages.

In light of fees then I dont think its a given that you have to go to uni. Do a pros and cons,obviously in favour are the student experience it cna be good or it can be rubbish for some. Getting a degree, which may or may not be importnat to you.

I wouldnt o until you know you really wnat to , know the place and course and that the degree is going to be useuful for you. For instance you might wnat to study travel and tourism and do soemthing in international event management? Ots up to you to do the research.

You cna ofc attempt to travel all your life, but maybe it would be more fun if you had skills and the abiliyu to earn money whilst doing it?

ReputationRep:
    Don't think about the debts. In the end it will be worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You cna go to uni at any age. two years is a very small amount of time and there will be people there of all ages.

In light of fees then I dont think its a given that you have to go to uni. Do a pros and cons,obviously in favour are the student experience it cna be good or it can be rubbish for some. Getting a degree, which may or may not be importnat to you.

I wouldnt o until you know you really wnat to , know the place and course and that the degree is going to be useuful for you. For instance you might wnat to study travel and tourism and do soemthing in international event management? Ots up to you to do the research.

You cna ofc attempt to travel all your life, but maybe it would be more fun if you had skills and the abiliyu to earn money whilst doing it?
    I know I won't be able to travel ALL my life and later on in life when I am older I will more than likely feel better about settling down with a job and my own place but whilst I am young I do want life experiences, etc. So if I don't go to university the question is what will I spend my life doing job wise?

And as for fees, it's difficult because I live with my mum and step-dad and my step dad has a very high income. This means the student loans I'm entitled to won't cover everything and my mum and step dad will have to aid me financially and I don't want to feel indebted to them forever. If I struggle to find a career with my degree it will be a lot of drama and hassle as they will hang it over my head forever that they supported me financially.

Idk lol it's just pure stress

(Original post by hollyr123)
    I know I won't be able to travel ALL my life and later on in life when I am older I will more than likely feel better about settling down with a job and my own place but whilst I am young I do want life experiences, etc. So if I don't go to university the question is what will I spend my life doing job wise?

And as for fees, it's difficult because I live with my mum and step-dad and my step dad has a very high income. This means the student loans I'm entitled to won't cover everything and my mum and step dad will have to aid me financially and I don't want to feel indebted to them forever. If I struggle to find a career with my degree it will be a lot of drama and hassle as they will hang it over my head forever that they supported me financially.

Idk lol it's just pure stress
    You could do an apprenticeship or you could pick a job which also has day release. You will just have to do some careers research.

If you dont wnat to feel indebted to your step father, then you will have to find a job where you can save money and pay the difference yourself. You might be quite happy not to go, its not compulsory.

Just write it all down, think about it and make a decision that best suits you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You could do an apprenticeship or you could pick a job which also has day release. You will just have to do some careers research.

If you dont wnat to feel indebted to your step father, then you will have to find a job where you can save money and pay the difference yourself. You might be quite happy not to go, its not compulsory.

Just write it all down, think about it and make a decision that best suits you.

Yeah my friend recommends I do an apprenticeship lol, she thinks it would be better as that way I can save to do what I want to do whilst I work, still get some kind of qualifications and have no debt in the process. But, as you said, I just have to do some careers research.

I think I'm going to apply for university anyway just so I know I've applied and have the option to go if and when I make my decision (if I actually get accepted by any of my choices that is!).

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.