The Student Room Group

UCAS Deadline coming up, and help is needed

It's close to the UCAS deadline and I want to do an engineering course, but i'm not sure if I want to do chartered accountany and I need help on what a-levels to do. If I do F Maths, Chemistry and Physics can that help me get a course in either job? If not, can you advise me on what to do. I'm in year 11 at the moment, but I don't want to be in a position where I'm unclear on my path ahead.

These are some of my predicted GCSE grades -
Maths - A/A+
Science - Physics - A
Chemistry - A
Biology - A
History - A*
English Lan - B
English Lit - B
Triple Science - A/A/A

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to do well in English?
The new GCSE's require us to know 18 poems, 3 books, know how to do transactional writing, answer comprehension exams and do some creative writing too.
Reply 1
Original post by plzhelpmeee

I'm slightly confused as to why the UCAS deadline has any effect on you if you're in Y11, and besides, the actual UCAS deadline is quite a way away, it's only the Oxbridge/Medicine/Vetinary Science deadline this week.

For your A level choices, Engineering requires Maths and Physics (Further Maths will be useful and almost expected at the top universities, and Chemistry will be useful as well). Accountancy essentially just requires Maths as far as I'm aware.
Original post by Tau
I'm slightly confused as to why the UCAS deadline has any effect on you if you're in Y11, and besides, the actual UCAS deadline is quite a way away, it's only the Oxbridge/Medicine/Vetinary Science deadline this week.

UCAS have a fairly new service to search for and apply for 16+ study that is used by some schools/colleges/education authorities.
The deadlines are unconnected to university application dates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Tau

For your A level choices, Engineering requires Maths and Physics (Further Maths will be useful and almost expected at the top universities, and Chemistry will be useful as well). Accountancy essentially just requires Maths as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for the reply tau,
I just wanna know one more thing. If I do Maths, Economics and Chemistry would that give me the option to either do CA or Chemical engineering?
Also about the UCAS deadline thing. They started a new thing for Y11 where we can apply for college courses via. ucasprogress.com and we basically add all of our personal information and personal statements and some other stuff.
Reply 4
Original post by plzhelpmeee
Thanks for the reply tau,
I just wanna know one more thing. If I do Maths, Economics and Chemistry would that give me the option to either do CA or Chemical engineering?
Also about the UCAS deadline thing. They started a new thing for Y11 where we can apply for college courses via. ucasprogress.com and we basically add all of our personal information and personal statements and some other stuff.

Original post by gdunne42
UCAS have a fairly new service to search for and apply for 16+ study that is used by some schools/colleges/education authorities.
The deadlines are unconnected to university application dates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for telling me about the new service - I was unaware of that. As for your question, obviously requirements vary by university, but for accountancy there generally is no specific subject required (Although maths is obviously useful), whilst chemical engineering requires maths and usually chemistry, if not then chemistry or physics. So yes, doing those 3 subjects covers those bases.
Reply 5
Original post by Tau
Thanks for telling me about the new service - I was unaware of that. As for your question, obviously requirements vary by university, but for accountancy there generally is no specific subject required (Although maths is obviously useful), whilst chemical engineering requires maths and usually chemistry, if not then chemistry or physics. So yes, doing those 3 subjects covers those bases.

Thank you so much for your help Tau.
Much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest