Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Geostationary Orbits- Old exam question Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, my teacher's set this booklet based on some really old exam questions; it's based on gravitational fields and obviously geostationary orbits;

In part II) it asks you to calculate the height of the satellite above the earth, as it's a geostationary orbit, would it not be 35,000~ KM? I can't seem to figure out where I'm wrong, I've rearranged:

T^2= (4PI^2/GM)*r^3

For the radial distance, subtracted earth's radius from the radius of the satellite from the center, and my answer is hugely out from the actual value of a geostationary orbit, any help would be much appreciated and part III is a complete shambles at the moment too, picture attached below. (Sorry for the quality!)

Cheers guys!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    method looks legit (afaict from that photo :unsure:) , are you sure you keyed it correctly into your calc?

I get 4.22x10^7 m radius above CoM (3.59x10^7 m above surface)
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Rearrange
    T^2= (4PI^2/GM)*r^3

To give a value for r.

We know the values if Pi, G, M, 4, and T.

Substitute a value of (24 x 60 x 60) for T

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.