The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Uhm my opinion would have to be "Ugh, concrete hell hole", but I come from about 45 minutes away from it so I am biased. However - I do know a few people there, a mate Chris of mine does Philosophy and he really isn't enjoying it. Saying that though, the city has a lot to do, good music scene that's very well promoted, especially if you're into post-hardcore; and you get some pretty major bands playing at the student union. Great shops, lots of places to eat, about two hours from London so not *too* bad, direct line at any rate. Think accomodation isn't too expensive and some of it is quite nice, it heads onto the countryside.

I think it's pretty well perceived these days, gradually going up, it's supposedly very good at English and Maths but that's about as much as I know. I'm more useful on the student life side then otherwise. Hope that was a help though.
Reply 2
I'm not sure about reputation with employers, but as it is a top 25% uni so I imagine employers regard it quite well. To be honest that wasn't one of the things I looked for when I chose UEA as my firm choice so I'm not entirely sure. If you have any more questions though I'm happy to answer them for you.
Reply 3
That would be extremely kind of you, Chicken! (Chicken used to address not in an endearing way) :smile:

I am just interested in what the law department is like (if you have heard any feedback).

Failing that, would you be so kind to tell me, is it right that the sea is only 20 minutes away and you can meet the seals?

Their offer is on the same level as Leicester-AAB though. Which university would you compare it to academically. I mean name another uni out of UEA's league.

Thanks Chicken!
Lowestoft is 30 minutes from Norwich on the train, gorgeous beach, not met any seals there, but quite a few fishermen. Probably quite close to Great Yarmouth too, and a few others - the Norfolk coastline is pretty lengthy so you're sure to find some seals somewhere. =p
Reply 5
I am happy to settle for fishermen if they are nice!
The question for Chicken still remains!
Reply 6
University of East Anglia is quite a good university, it has a good reputation.
jason0506
I am happy to settle for fishermen if they are nice!
The question for Chicken still remains!

aint u a bloke? :eek:
Reply 8
To whosoever labelled the place a concrete hell-hole, without using the term military prison, I could not have said it better myself. The accomodation reflects such terms! It is flatout awful, but I wouldn't know about the teaching standard, or reputation, just that you can't sleep at the place!

To summarise, upon visiting the UEA, as part of a college induction, I was sickened so much by it; that I attempted to gather loose change and pay for a taxi home after 2 hours of being there. Some of the worst memories of my life...
Reply 9
I thought UEA was really nice, and actually thought about changing it from my insurance to my firm. It is viewed highly in terms of academic reputation, not sure about law, but generally it is perceived as a very good university.
Reply 10
jason0506
That would be extremely kind of you, Chicken! (Chicken used to address not in an endearing way) :smile:

I am just interested in what the law department is like (if you have heard any feedback).

Failing that, would you be so kind to tell me, is it right that the sea is only 20 minutes away and you can meet the seals?

Their offer is on the same level as Leicester-AAB though. Which university would you compare it to academically. I mean name another uni out of UEA's league.

Thanks Chicken!

One of my housemates does Law - its one of the better law departments in the country (though you can only do the LLB there, they don't do the next bit so you'd have to go elsewhere if you want to do that). Got quite a good reputation I think, certainly is one of the bigger courses at the uni (as its popular). I've not been to the Norfolk coast since being at uni (went to Southwold in Suffolk instead but its further away) but Cromer and Great Yarmouth are about 1/2 hour on the train and I'm sure there's a seal sanctuary somewhere along the coast!

As for comparing UEA - I'm not really sure, I reckon places like Leicester, Exeter, Reading are all comparable to UEA reputation wise - they are all known as good uni's and have some particularly strong subjects, but aren't necessarily in the top league of uni's.

Hope that helps :smile: .
Reply 11
jason0506
Does anyone have an opinion of East Anglia University and how it is perceived by employers? Its academic standing in relation to law?

My boyf did his law degree at The Norwich Law School (a few years back now). It seems to have a good reputation. From there he did the Bar Vocational Course at ICSL (came 2nd in his year), then went to Oxford and did a D.Phil in Human Rights (hearsay and other stuff, I think). He then went and did his pupilage and is just waiting to see if he made tenancy.

The department and buildings are lovely!
Reply 12
The law department is well regarded, it is one of only 8 unis (the others being Oxford, Cambridge, Nottingham etc.) to introduce the new entry exams.
Reply 13
Sorry would you mind explaining your last post for me please, Pencil Queen?
Do you not think their law dept is any good?
jason0506
Does anyone have an opinion of East Anglia University and how it is perceived by employers? Its academic standing in relation to law?

Does it plan to compete with Cambridge? East Anglia is only big enough for the one of them! :smile: Tee hee..
Reply 15
I would appreciate less sarcasm and more opinions backed by the facts :smile:
I guess Southampton doesn't either really have competing with Cambridge on its primary agenda list, does it? :rolleyes:

It's very kind of all of you to express your opinions on the matter though!
Reply 16
jason0506
Sorry would you mind explaining your last post for me please, Pencil Queen?
Do you not think their law dept is any good?

I think PQ means that by introducing these law tests its easier to 'select' the candidates with higher grades, which then makes them look better on the league tables in the average points for entry column.
Reply 17
Comparison between Sheffield and UEA for law here, some interesting info.

http://www.uk-learning.net/t35347.html
jason0506
I guess Southampton doesn't either really have competing with Cambridge on its primary agenda list, does it? :rolleyes:

It's very kind of all of you to express your opinions on the matter though!

No... Southampton must be better... They rejected me even though I live here and Cambridge accepted me :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending