Is it worth doing an International Relations degree?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I am deciding what degree to aim for. I am undecided between Social Work and International Relations. International Relations is something that I think I would find interesting, but is it worth doing as far as job prospects go? I am 35 now and would probably had turned 40 by the time my course had finished.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Think about where you'd like to be in the future and what you need to get there and then decide. Think about degrees also in terms of what transferable skills you'll gain and what they can be applied to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hrryhll)
    I am deciding what degree to aim for. I am undecided between Social Work and International Relations. International Relations is something that I think I would find interesting, but is it worth doing as far as job prospects go? I am 35 now and would probably had turned 40 by the time my course had finished.

Thanks.
    What have you been doing for the last 15 years to build on? I wouldn't do an IR degree at 35 (although I did) if I hadn't got a background that it built upon, ie relevant professional experience (which I had). But starting afresh in something that actually needed an IR degree, in the IR field - I'd be hard pressed to think of anything if you werent also bringing skills in something like medicine, disaster recovery, logistics etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there's a great need for social workers in this country, but there's a huge number of wannabe UN workers...

You have to chose what you are most interested in, of course, but I understand that if you're pushing 40 by the time you finish you need to be employable easily. For that reason, Social Work would win hands down.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me it is much easier being a mature student as a female. The jobs you can go into as you get older like Nursing, Teaching and Social Work are geared towards females.

Social Work does interest me but I have no experience in that field. And that is what all universities seem to ask for.

ReputationRep:
    I used a uni degree to swap from IT to archaeology aged 44 and I'm female. Don't worry about what your gender may or may not make the easier path. That would be ridiculous. Do the course which will get you where you ultimately want to be. But of course, that means you need to make a decision, then a commitment.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me it is much easier being a mature student as a female. The jobs you can go into as you get older like Nursing, Teaching and Social Work are geared towards females.
    In what way are these courses 'geared towards females'?

Social Work does interest me but I have no experience in that field. And that is what all universities seem to ask for.
    'Interest' is rarely enough to get onto a doing/vocational course, you need to get some experience at least in allied areas to show you can care for people and have empathy with them.

ReputationRep:

Nursing, teaching and social work are just as much for men as women, this is the 21st century not the 19th. You would definitley need to get work experience in social work before you could put in a competitive application. With IR, I studied it at uni, and like all non vocational degrees, at the end of the day employability comes down to the invididual- to have work experience and to put together a good application. A lot of directly relevant work e.g. with NATO or the UN would definitley require moving abroad, and often requires a Masters and a second language and entry level roles are poorly paid or not paid at all.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.