How long did it take you to get your first part time job?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 and looking for a part time job is hard. I have done lots of applications online only to get rejection emails.
    How long did it take you to get your first party time job? Especially in your teens?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 now and have just started my first part-time job (outside of school employment); I got offered a job at the second place I applied to. If you are getting straight rejections then you might be missing something on your CV - have you done any past work experience? If so, what did you learn from that and how will it help you interact with customers, other employees etc? Do you have any sporting interests (or otherwise)? How do they develop, say, your communication skills?

It doesn't have to be a long explanation, I literally just listed my qualifications and then put about 3 lines for each of my previous work experiences, and then 2 or 3 about hobbies. Good luck, if you have any questions then just ask

ReputationRep:
    About 6/7 months

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for about eleven places. No luck so far

ReputationRep:
    I was 15 when I got my first job, I applied and got the job about a month later

ReputationRep:
    I got my first when I'd just turned 16, but I'd been trying since 14. Of course I wouldn't say that was an average, because there are very few jobs for anyone under 16. Usually it takes me a good few months though

ReputationRep:
    I rejected the job offer in the end (because I realised I wouldn't be able to work 16 hours during sixth form) but got an offer from the first job I applied to

ReputationRep:
    Took me 3 weeks to start work when I was 16, I now have a 14 year old sibling who is working as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Like zero time, since my sister was working in a restaurant and made the owner hire me too, lol.

For my next few jobs it was only a couple of weeks from looking to getting a job.

Sainsburys is the easiest. If you see a vacancy apply, they only offer 2-3 interviews per position before taking it down, so your chances are quite high. As long as you are not a muppet, you will get the job.

I've actually working full time but due to a costly wedding I looked for part time jobs. Two weeks later, I have two, lol. Was offered a third but turned it down as I can't make the hours work.

If you are friendly, approachable, don't wound like an idiot when you talk and have a smile, you will get a job.

Restaurant jobs are probably the easiest to get at a young age, then when you have some experience you will be a shoe in for a better paid retail job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    I'm 16 and looking for a part time job is hard. I have done lots of applications online only to get rejection emails.
    How long did it take you to get your first party time job? Especially in your teens?
    About 4 months; my (first?) part time job was at my parents' takeaway when I was 13, helping out at the counter. But to be honest I didn't 'properly' work until I was 18 - in retail. Reason why I say properly is because I relied on my parents when I was working at the takeaway but took my own responsibility that I decided to look for a job elsewhere without their help whatsoever.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.