Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonny Fezro)
    Then they could all do with a revamp in attitudes, bring them kicking and screaming into the 20th let alone the 21 st century lmao:mad: :eek:
    LOL if you are looking for an institution with modern attitudes then you'll have to look outside Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JHutcher)
    LOL if you are looking for an institution with modern attitudes then you'll have to look outside Cambridge
    Cambridge has attitudes dating back to the 13th century, in fact if they did catch me camping on their lawn, they might wanna put me in the stocks and throw rotten fruit at me or something like that :p: actually, i reckon that sounds like a pretty good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epitome)
    *Apparently* they were sent down for it (or at least Deaned)...dunno how true that is. I like to believe they played the trick & lived happily ever after.

Sent down???? You mean they went to PRISON?!!?! God this university sounds well harsh

ReputationRep:
    Sent down???? You mean they went to PRISON?!!?! God this university sounds well harsh
    No, sent away- i.e. down- from Cambridge. No matter where you are, you go "up" when you go to Cambridge or Oxford.

Edit: and you go down when you leave. There's an innuendous joke there, but I'm not saying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    It's nothing to do with what century we are in. If a rule is being broken for the sake of breaking it then people generally aren't amused. I honestly can't believe you're being serious in suggesting that a college might be amused by people camping on their lawns.
    Once again not walking on formal lawns is not an exclusively Cambridge thing, and nor is it the reserve of old-fashioned institutions. It is to preserve the lawn.
    Hehe but when theres just really silly petty daft rules like this, then they're just asking to broken in all fairness, what kind of place is it when the most serious problem is people walking on the lawns :cool: eeeeeiishhh! Some of these Cambridge rule makers want to try and enforce order in an inner-city school, they'd be out of their league :p: :p: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    No, sent away- i.e. down- from Cambridge. No matter where you are, you go "up" when you go to Cambridge or Oxford.

Edit: and you go down when you leave. There's an innuendous joke there, but I'm not saying it.
    Hehe yeah i see what ya mean :p: xx

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge has attitudes dating back to the 13th century, in fact if they did catch me camping on their lawn, they might wanna put me in the stocks and throw rotten fruit at me or something like that :p: actually, i reckon that sounds like a pretty good idea
    It happened to me when I entered my supervision with my laces untied. My supervisor thought it showed lack of respect or something, and tied me up whilst he threw fruit at me.

Another old fashioned thing I don't like is that you have to wear Victorian clothes to supervisions and lectures. I feel like a right idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jigglypuff)
    It happened to me when I entered my supervision with my laces untied. My supervisor thought it showed lack of respect or something, and tied me up whilst he threw fruit at me.

Another old fashioned thing I don't like is that you have to wear Victorian clothes to supervisions and lectures. I feel like a right idiot.
    ^^ I know. I once forgot my top hat. Ghastly. And all the other hearties in the boat club despair at my inability to tie my own cravat.

ReputationRep:
    Snow is an interesting variation to the "Please don't walk on the grass rule"...probably because so many people are breaking it there's little chance of authorities being able to do anything about it. That, and snow generally brings good feeling and a bit of humour - unless you stuff a snowball down my neck. Don't.

I once forgot my top hat. Ghastly. And all the other hearties in the boat club despair at my inability to tie my own cravat.
    At least you get reasonably sensible clothes. Our Senior Tutor's insitence upon all the Newnham Ladies donning lace bonnets before setting foot outside the College grounds is irksome.

(NB: We are *joking*).

ReputationRep:
    Hehe but when theres just really silly petty daft rules like this, then they're just asking to broken in all fairness, what kind of place is it when the most serious problem is people walking on the lawns :cool: eeeeeiishhh! Some of these Cambridge rule makers want to try and enforce order in an inner-city school, they'd be out of their league :p: :p: :p:
    Listen very carefully:

It. Is. Not. A. Daft. Rule.
    They. Are. Formal. Lawns.
    Walking. On. Them. Might. Spoil. Their. Condition.

It's not a bloody serious problem, you're just not meant to do it. Omg! Rules are different in Oxbridge colleges than in inner-city comprehensives, big bloody shock.

You asked whether college authorities might be amused if you flagrantly broke a rule which is there for a purpose. I answered that no, they would almost certainly not be amused. Did you expect this to be different? It's not an amusing quirk of old-fashioned Oxbridge that people are annoyed when the rules they put in place are purposefully broken for no reason than to break the rules.

Now please be quiet before I have reason to be sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    And really, if there's a path there to be used, use it.

ReputationRep:
    Fortunately, Cambridge is NOT an inner-city school. The colleges are very lovely, old fashioned buildings with grounds that cost a LOT of money to maintain. Tourists don't want to come and see lawns with muddy tracks all over them where people have taken shortcuts, and bedders don't want to have to spend all their time cleaning mud out of carpets.

We weren't allowed to walk on the grass at my school either - even the playing fields were off limits in winter unless you were actually playing sport. So coming to Cambridge it simply made sense that you didn't walk on them. It's not really snobby or sticking rigidly to tradition - it's a practical thing as well.

ReputationRep:
    Most people in Fresher's Week think 'Lolz, it will be funny to run across the lawn and see if I get caught' but beyond that point, it really loses its comedy value. I do enjoy fire alarms when we can stand on the front lawn though...tourists run on too and get shoo'd off and can't understand why they aren't allowed on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niccolo)
    I think you would make an excellent driving test examiner, or low-level inland revenue worker, or librarian.
    I was born a civil servant.

ReputationRep:

That's ironic, you'd have thought you'd have to go down to get into Cambridge, not to leave... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    Listen very carefully:

It. Is. Not. A. Daft. Rule.
    They. Are. Formal. Lawns.
    Walking. On. Them. Might. Spoil. Their. Condition.

It's not a bloody serious problem, you're just not meant to do it. Omg! Rules are different in Oxbridge colleges than in inner-city comprehensives, big bloody shock.

You asked whether college authorities might be amused if you flagrantly broke a rule which is there for a purpose. I answered that no, they would almost certainly not be amused. Did you expect this to be different? It's not an amusing quirk of old-fashioned Oxbridge that people are annoyed when the rules they put in place are purposefully broken for no reason than to break the rules.

Now please be quiet before I have reason to be sarcastic.
    HAHAHA there's some angry people around on here! Sense of humour failure? xx

ReputationRep:
    ^^ I know. I once forgot my top hat. Ghastly. And all the other hearties in the boat club despair at my inability to tie my own cravat.
    Tut tut, i hope you got sent down for that offence xxx

ReputationRep:
    Well not really. In order for me to have had a sense of humour failure your troll would have had to have been funny. This part is fairly crucial.

ReputationRep:
    Can you stop winking and kissing at us at the end of every post? This isn't the navy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    Can you stop winking and kissing at us at the end of every post? This isn't the navy.
    Hehe, no problem xxx

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.