The Student Room Group

Chances of getting these offers//should I be aiming higher?

Okay so I'll be sending off my application for straight Economics in three weeks time, was just curious to know what my chances of getting offers are with my stats and PS:

6A*, 4A, 1C at GCSE
AAAA at AS in Maths, Economics, Geography and History. (89.7% UMS maths, 95.5% UMS Geography)
Pretty sure I have 3A* predictions in the above minus History which I've dropped.
My PS mentions my participation in the Model United Nations of Goldberg (MUNOG), economics related EPQ, the I've read and commented upon Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman and Return of Depression Economics by Paul Krugman. Also emphasised a lot of skills to make it overall a "decent" PS.

So yeah it would be great to know what you reckon my chances are of getting offers from:
Warwick (A*AA)
Nottingham (A*AA/AAA)
York (AAB)
Leeds (AAA)
Manchester (AAB)

Personally reckon I stand a really good chance of them all apart from Warwick, where my chances are a lot slimmer.

Also, I've been told a few times before that my choices are a little unambitious, and that I should be looking to apply to Oxbridge (out of the question now due to tomorrow's deadline), LSE, Imperial, UCL, KCL, Durham, Bristol, Bath. Highly doubt I will change my choices at this late stage but would interesting to know what chances I have of getting offers from those places please? I reckon one of the biggest factors preventing me from getting hypothetical offers from those, particularly the first few, is that fact I don't take Further Maths.

Thanks a lot for any responses :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Entry requirements should give you an idea of where you stand a chance. Generally it's a good idea to pick one or two reach and the rest ok unis but equally don't pick unis just because you think they're good. Pick courses that are interesting to you.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Entry requirements should give you an idea of where you stand a chance. Generally it's a good idea to pick one or two reach and the rest ok unis but equally don't pick unis just because you think they're good. Pick courses that are interesting to you.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by joddcfc
Okay so I'll be sending off my application for straight Economics in three weeks time, was just curious to know what my chances of getting offers are with my stats and PS:

6A*, 4A, 1C at GCSE
AAAA at AS in Maths, Economics, Geography and History. (89.7% UMS maths, 95.5% UMS Geography)
Pretty sure I have 3A* predictions in the above minus History which I've dropped.
My PS mentions my participation in the Model United Nations of Goldberg (MUNOG), economics related EPQ, the I've read and commented upon Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman and Return of Depression Economics by Paul Krugman. Also emphasised a lot of skills to make it overall a "decent" PS.

So yeah it would be great to know what you reckon my chances are of getting offers from:
Warwick (A*AA)
Nottingham (A*AA/AAA)
York (AAB)
Leeds (AAA)
Manchester (AAB)

Personally reckon I stand a really good chance of them all apart from Warwick, where my chances are a lot slimmer.

Also, I've been told a few times before that my choices are a little unambitious, and that I should be looking to apply to Oxbridge (out of the question now due to tomorrow's deadline), LSE, Imperial, UCL, KCL, Durham, Bristol, Bath. Highly doubt I will change my choices at this late stage but would interesting to know what chances I have of getting offers from those places please? I reckon one of the biggest factors preventing me from getting hypothetical offers from those, particularly the first few, is that fact I don't take Further Maths.

Thanks a lot for any responses :smile:

Oxbridge too late and its extremely unambitious u shud wswap manchester york and leeds for kcl durham lse
Only lse furrhermaths is really a biggie the rest u r fine
Reply 4
Original post by youreanutter
Oxbridge too late and its extremely unambitious u shud wswap manchester york and leeds for kcl durham lse
Only lse furrhermaths is really a biggie the rest u r fine

Thanks for the reply, although that would effectively leave me with no backup choices in case I don't managed to get an A*. Plus I've never visited those unis, and I've just visited 3 of my current 5 ATM, so I could do without scrapping Leeds and applying to 5 unis, of which just 2 I've actually visited. KCL and LSE I'm apprehensive about anyway as I'm not sure about studying in London

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joddcfc
Thanks for the reply, although that would effectively leave me with no backup choices in case I don't managed to get an A*. Plus I've never visited those unis, and I've just visited 3 of my current 5 ATM, so I could do without scrapping Leeds and applying to 5 unis, of which just 2 I've actually visited. KCL and LSE I'm apprehensive about anyway as I'm not sure about studying in London

Posted from TSR Mobile

Swap york defo for a*aa uni's u dont need 2 aab choices tbf and then i wud swapmleeds for anothee a*aa
Reply 6
Original post by youreanutter
Swap york defo for a*aa uni's u dont need 2 aab choices tbf and then i wud swapmleeds for anothee a*aa

I'm keeping York but most likely going to swap Manchester as I prefer York. Will probably be replaced by either Bath, Bristol or Durham. Want to keep Leeds though as it's my only AAA choice and scrapping it would mean applying to 3 unis I haven't actually visited. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by joddcfc
I'm keeping York but most likely going to swap Manchester as I prefer York. Will probably be replaced by either Bath, Bristol or Durham. Want to keep Leeds though as it's my only AAA choice and scrapping it would mean applying to 3 unis I haven't actually visited. Thanks for the advice :smile:

You could apply for economics and finance at Bristol as its lower grade boundaries than straight economics, with the requirements at AAA
Reply 8
Original post by JMEisjames
You could apply for economics and finance at Bristol as its lower grade boundaries than straight economics, with the requirements at AAA

Would I have to change my personal statement in any way to accommodate the finance aspect of that course?
Original post by joddcfc
Would I have to change my personal statement in any way to accommodate the finance aspect of that course?

I don't believe so as the examples of economics and finance do not have any stark differences to just normal economics personal statements
Reply 10
Original post by JMEisjames
I don't believe so as the examples of economics and finance do not have any stark differences to just normal economics personal statements

Ah okay cheers, I was considering the Bristol E+F course a while ago actually but wasn't too sure about having to adapt my PS

Quick Reply

Latest