Personal statement - too ambitious?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    I am mentioning in my personal statement that the medical field I am most interested in is neurosurgery. Do you think it's too ambitious? Won't the admission officers think that I think too highly of myself when I'm not even in med school yet?

ReputationRep:
    No, this shows you have a clear mind to where you are going and not just 'medicine', which ultimately shows you are dedicated and will be ambitious to complete the course and not drop out

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all. It's good to be interesting in something specific. You could make yourself sound arrogant if you suggested you were a nailed-on certainty to become a neurosurgeon, but just having the interest and ambition to do it is great.

ReputationRep:
    It's not too ambitious however remember you're applying for a degree, not a job.

Without some experience shadowing or something, I would question the use of previous characters to simply state an interest which may change once you start the degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    It's not too ambitious however remember you're applying for a degree, not a job.

Without some experience shadowing or something, I would question the use of previous characters to simply state an interest which may change once you start the degree.
    I am volunteering at a hospital and I have a lot of experience from labs - now I have an internship where I research neurophysiology. Unfortunately it is impossible to do shadowing in my country so I'm hoping this will be enough...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barborazel)
    I am mentioning in my personal statement that the medical field I am most interested in is neurosurgery. Do you think it's too ambitious? Won't the admission officers think that I think too highly of myself when I'm not even in med school yet?

By all means include it. *You don't need to say 'I am going go work as a neurosurgeon', you can just say 'neurosurgery is a field I find particularly interesting' or something similar. You can then go on to say why you find it interesting, so discussing relevant work experience, and maybe books you've read as a result.

ReputationRep:
    The truth is that they're barely going to read the first sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemon Haze)
    The truth is that they're barely going to read the first sentence.
    Unless you're applying to Bristol 😊

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.