Lana348
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For gcse (aqa) we studied of mice and men as one of our texts. This year (year 13) we are doing our coursework for english lit (edexcel) is it possible to choose of mice and men as one of my texts and great gatsby as the other? I am late to the course and it would save me a lot of time. The edexcel spec doesn't say that this isn't allowed but I feel like it's a bit unfair??
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lana348)
For gcse (aqa) we studied of mice and men as one of our texts. This year (year 13) we are doing our coursework for english lit (edexcel) is it possible to choose of mice and men as one of my texts and great gatsby as the other? I am late to the course and it would save me a lot of time. The edexcel spec doesn't say that this isn't allowed but I feel like it's a bit unfair??
Part of A-level coursework requirement for Literature is to make sure texts are challenging and vigorous... Which essentially means you are not allowed to study texts that is seen of a lesser standard - i.e KS3 or KS4 texts. So your teacher (if having any sense) would not allow you to write about OMAM for your A2 c/w. Even though Great Gatsby is a popular A-level text, I would advise against it and be more original. However, there's nothing wrong with picking different novels by the same authors. Fitzgerald has two great novels I've read called The Beautiful and Damned and Tender is the Night. Steinbeck has some fantastic novels as well like The Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden.

I would defo not choose OFAM as it's a GCSE text, not an A-level text.
Lana348
Rep:
?
Thanks for the clarification
Lana348
Rep:
?
Would you reckon that animal farm is a level standard? Im looking for something to compare with A Clockwork Orange.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lana348)
Would you reckon that animal farm is a level standard? Im looking for something to compare with A Clockwork Orange.
AF is ok. But I'd go for something a bit more complex like 1984 or Fight Club or American Psycho. Something that has just as much merit but not as popular because of the controversy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.11%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
27.98%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (92)
37.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.35%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.7%

Watched Threads