Why are the comments on the Mail Online so pathetically hateful?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    It's like the dirge of humanity congregates on the pages of the Daily Mail Online. Who are these *beeps*? Are they really THAT bitter, twisted, miserable and depressed about their own lives that they have to hate on literally everything on the planet? Or are a lot of the comments written by the authors of the articles, pretending to be members of the public, in order to provoke reactions in readers? Wouldn't put it past the DM to be honest...

ReputationRep:
    I like the Daily Mail

ReputationRep:
    But you do have to account why it is the most popular English language news site in the world, and why the newspaper still has a circulation of 1.5 million.

I agree, by the way. It is drivel, and populated by a lot of narrow-minded individuals who really ought to have better things to do with their time.

ReputationRep:
    When there's a degree of anonymity you can expect to see the nastier aspects of humanity manifest itself that otherwise remained hidden from view. For what it's worth, the amount of hate comments I see on the DM, the % is quite low considering the fact that it's an anti-immigrant paper, and people can anonymously post comments on there. It's also possible I have a very sqewed view on this because I've experienced horrendous amounts of abuse (threats of violence, etc) when it came to religious debates so there's that :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    But you do have to account why it is the most popular English language news site in the world, and why the newspaper still has a circulation of 1.5 million.

I agree, by the way. It is drivel, and populated by a lot of narrow-minded individuals who really ought to have better things to do with their time.
    Its got such a high circulation because the vast majority of people are idiots.Next question?

ReputationRep:
    It's not the Daily Mail, it's the effect of the internet and anonymity. You can see far worse on Twitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Its got such a high circulation because the vast majority of people are idiots.Next question?
    Not the most sophisticated of analyses...

ReputationRep:
    If you think the comments in the Mail Online are bad you'd probably go crazy at the ones left in the Daily Express.*

btw, the mail online strictly controls and vets every single comment before allowing them onto their comments section. What you're reading are comments that they've allowed to go through. In other words comments that conform with their right wing agenda.*

ReputationRep:
    why are you so pathetically hateful?

ReputationRep:
    Not the most sophisticated of analyses...
    Well why is it wrong? The majority of people are pretty stupid.Its why kim kardashian and the x factor are so popular.Its also why donald trump is on the verge of becoming president.You say its not a sophisticated analysis but its the basic truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    why are you so pathetically hateful?
    Its not hateful to state the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Its not hateful to state the truth.
    0/10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    0/10
    So no actual argument then.

ReputationRep:
    So no actual argument then.
    Certainly none worth wasting my time on.

ReputationRep:
    the comments are from the type of people who voted to leave the EU.... what do you expect ?

ReputationRep:
    What papers/news agencies do you read/watch?

ReputationRep:
    Even though it supported the Nazis for an extensive period of time, it isn't easy to understand why in the 21st century they have such hateful views. I believe comments sections often concentrate and amplify the very worst of extreme views, especially if they are made by individuals who are essentially anonymous.

ReputationRep:

I think maybe because it combines news and celebrity gossip and the 'femail' section online so gets a lot of traffic that way. I know if I ever google something about a celebrity having a baby or anything inane like that, DM is often the first search result.

I try not to click though because I don't want to give them my view.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.