2017 Police Now Graduate Scheme

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, is anyone else here applying for the scheme this year? I've passed the video interview stage so I'm waiting to hear back about the next stage, which I think will be the assessment centre. *For anyone interested, applications are currently open for the Police Now two-year scheme.

You will join fast-paced training in the summer of 2017 and become a police constable, to be placed on a neighbourhood team. You'll receieve continued support for two years and at the end, you can remain a PC, either on the neighbourhood team or perhaps try for another area of policing, or you could use the skills you gained and move into another career.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah how long did you have to wait for your video interview results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepennant)
    Yeah how long did you have to wait for your video interview results?
    I heard back within 5 days by phone call*

ReputationRep:
    Strangely enough, I got an email out of the blue not so long ago so they were nearly within 24 hours with me. I guess that means I'm joining the wait out for an assessment date club.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think we will be doing more numerical/verbal reasoning tests at the assessment centre?

ReputationRep:
    Don't think so. From what I've been able to find it's an e-tray, a couple of roleplays and a competency interview at the end if you're successful on all that. I'm quite eager to get on and do it now to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    That would be a relief! I'm not too worried about the role plays/interview. I know it will be quite a heavy day but I feel the same, I'm looking forward to diving in and getting on with it

ReputationRep:
    I have booked my assessment centre date!

ReputationRep:
    How long did it take to hear I haven't heard anything on an assessment date?

ReputationRep:
    How long did it take to hear I haven't heard anything on an assessment date?
    Have you heard back regarding the video interview? I heard back after 4-5 days. Then I received an email around a week latsrbinstructing me to book my assessment centre date

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah got an email last Friday and heard nothing on an assessment centre since.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to both of you! How have you guys found the process so far? How were the tests and interview? And how long did they last?

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm all booked in now so looking forward to it.

I think it's gone really quickly they've been fantastic in pushing you along. The tests I don't think were that difficult at all bog standard stuff with a few odd questions in the maths part. For the interview I would just say follow their advice there isn't any tricks involved. What I would say is just do your prep and don't rush to answer the question straight away take the time you are given to think. They do say that but it really is worthwhile doing it. They don't take very long to do either and they tell you the time you need to set aside for each part.

ReputationRep:
    I've also found the process to have gone by quickly. I have not found it especially challenging so far (besides those bloody maths questions!), I'm sure they're saving the real hard work for the assessment centre :wink:

The video interview was quite an unnatural process but still quite simple. None of the questions were designed to catch you out. Just be sure of your strengths and why you want to be part of the programme.

I'm really looking forward to the assessment centre, I'm used to role plays and already have a civilian role in the police so I'm hoping I will do well enough to get through. But I'm sure it will be an especially tough day!

ReputationRep:
    Is there any advantage to doing the scheme as opposed to joining at entry level? From what I gather, the PC-Inspector 3 year scheme has been scrapped in favour of the Police Now scheme, so there is not the guaranteed path to promotion for graduates is there?

ReputationRep:
    There is inspector direct entry or inspector fast track within the police. Entry to neither of these is guaranteed but I'd say Police Now would give you a distinct advantage when applying for the internal fast track. I'd say go for Police Now purely for the heightened amount of responsibilities they put on you that look great on your CV plus you finish your initial training faster.

ReputationRep:
    i have to do the video interview in the next 5 days! Pretty nervous about it. So its just answering a series of questions? Did you have time to think about the answer in the video before it recorded or is it all recorded in once so they see everything/ including you hesitate if you need a think about answer? haha

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you get time to prepare an answer for each question. I can't talk too much about it but just try and relax and follow the advice they give you that tells you everything you need to know.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you get time to prepare an answer for each question. I can't talk too much about it but just try and relax and follow the advice they give you that tells you everything you need to know.
    ok thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel1894x)
    i have to do the video interview in the next 5 days! Pretty nervous about it. So its just answering a series of questions? Did you have time to think about the answer in the video before it recorded or is it all recorded in once so they see everything/ including you hesitate if you need a think about answer? haha
    I just got the email for the video interview too! I'm going to get it done tomorrow so it's out of the way! Good luck for yours x

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.