Is a MEng in Civ Engineering worth more than a BEng to enter finance/banking/consulta

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Currently studying for my MEng at UCL, have already achieved a 2.1 BEng. Didn't apply for grad jobs last year so was afraid of having nothing to do for a year so jumped on the MEng despite hating my course. Now I am considering cancelling the MEng and just going with my BEng. I want to work in finance/banking/consultancy and wanted to know whether or not a BEng makes a difference to a MEng?

Thanks to everyone who responds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenOut)
    Currently studying for my MEng at UCL, have already achieved a 2.1 BEng. Didn't apply for grad jobs last year so was afraid of having nothing to do for a year so jumped on the MEng despite hating my course. Now I am considering cancelling the MEng and just going with my BEng. I want to work in finance/banking/consultancy and wanted to know whether or not a BEng makes a difference to a MEng?

No, the MEng is absolutely worthless outside of engineering. Most hiring managers in those industries wont know the difference between an MEng and a BEng.

It only makes sense to do MEng if you want to keep your options open in the event that you may eventually think of going back into engineering. If you're 100% sure that you wont, then it's a waste of time and money.

ReputationRep:

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How about buying them more legitimate student time to do an internship in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    How about buying them more legitimate student time to do an internship in?
    It's still not *worth* more in finance/consulting.

However, if anyone on the course were to consider ever going into engineering then sure, or if you liked the extra year just for interest reasons alone, sure, or if you, say, feel you could be better prepared for spring week applications in the second year of a four year course vs first year, sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiquidCryztal)
    No, the MEng is absolutely worthless outside of engineering. Most hiring managers in those industries wont know the difference between an MEng and a BEng.

It only makes sense to do MEng if you want to keep your options open in the event that you may eventually think of going back into engineering. If you're 100% sure that you wont, then it's a waste of time and money.
    No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I agree with you both though I'd like to ask whether or not you have any sources for this information? Or is it something that is widely accepted? Or is it just what you assume? Thank u

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I agree with you both though I'd like to ask whether or not you have any sources for this information? Or is it something that is widely accepted? Or is it just what you assume? Thank u
    Would you like me to write, then peer review and finally source a whole journal article on the benefits/disadvantages of doing an MEng vs a BEng for finance/consulting careers? Because that's not happening. If you want to confirm, call up/email different firms' HR teams for your own peace of mind.

ReputationRep:
    Would you like me to write, then peer review and finally source a whole journal article on the benefits/disadvantages of doing an MEng vs a BEng for finance/consulting careers? Because that's not happening. If you want to confirm, call up/email different firms' HR teams for your own peace of mind.
    No thanks that won't be necessary right now. If you could just answer the question that'd be great. I'll put it back here for you just in case you forgot:

I'd like to ask whether or not you have any sources for this information? Or is it something that is widely accepted? Or is it just what you assume? Thank u

ReputationRep:
    No sources, just widely accepted.

ReputationRep:
    No thanks that won't be necessary right now. If you could just answer the question that'd be great. I'll put it back here for you just in case you forgot:

I'd like to ask whether or not you have any sources for this information? Or is it something that is widely accepted? Or is it just what you assume? Thank u
    My 'source' is HR, friends going through the process and bankers. Further, it would be 'widely accepted' amongst people with some exposure to the industry.

Not sure why this question is so important however

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No sources, just widely accepted.
    My 'source' is HR, friends going through the process and bankers. Further, it would be 'widely accepted' amongst people with some exposure to the industry.

Not sure why this question is so important however

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers guys. I reckon I'll just leave with my BEng this week and focus all my efforts on landing a graduate job. If anyone reading this has anything they feel may be useful (even in the slightest) please don't hesitate to share. I will be making my final decision this weekend and would like to hear from all possible angles before I cement my choice.

Thanks (:

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys. I reckon I'll just leave with my BEng this week and focus all my efforts on landing a graduate job. If anyone reading this has anything they feel may be useful (even in the slightest) please don't hesitate to share. I will be making my final decision this weekend and would like to hear from all possible angles before I cement my choice.

Thanks (:
    Awesome, best of luck deciding

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thanks (:
    Think about it like this, even if it takes you a while to find a graduate job, it would take just as long once you finish the MEng. Only difference is you'll be a year older and with more debt and probably then think to yourself "if I had left with a BEng, i'd probably have a job by now". You're making the right decision.

ReputationRep:
    Think about it like this, even if it takes you a while to find a graduate job, it would take just as long once you finish the MEng. Only difference is you'll be a year older and with more debt and probably then think to yourself "if I had left with a BEng, i'd probably have a job by now". You're making the right decision.
    Many thanks for the sincere response. I am currently fixing my CV and will make a plan of all companies I wish to apply for, what they require and their deadlines. My head feels so clear.

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks for the sincere response. I am currently fixing my CV and will make a plan of all companies I wish to apply for, what they require and their deadlines. My head feels so clear.

just a heads up, apply way before deadline! apply as early as you can in the coming week/weeks, dont wait until november december

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheParham)
    just a heads up, apply way before deadline! apply as early as you can in the coming week/weeks, dont wait until november december
    Thanks for the heads up

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.