What to do

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

I've just started uni and am in my 5th week and suffer from depression, generalised anxiety and have in the past struggled with anorexia (something that's a bit up and down at the moment).

My uni have a 100% attendance policy and you have to fill out a form if you miss any lectures etc and give the reason why. I've missed my lecture today and don't know to what extent I should be honest with them about the reasoning.

I'm struggling more than I'd like to admit to anyone - I feel really depressed all the time, I'm not sleeping well at all - when my alarm went off at 8 today I had been asleep for less than 2 hours and I just didn't have the motivation.

However, I want to stay out of student support as much as possible - uni was meant to be my chance to start again and not be this person, but here I am... skipping lectures and falling behind already.

Any advice would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I think you should be honest with them. That way, they should be able to give you any support you need.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I've just started uni and am in my 5th week and suffer from depression, generalised anxiety and have in the past struggled with anorexia (something that's a bit up and down at the moment).

My uni have a 100% attendance policy and you have to fill out a form if you miss any lectures etc and give the reason why. I've missed my lecture today and don't know to what extent I should be honest with them about the reasoning.

I'm struggling more than I'd like to admit to anyone - I feel really depressed all the time, I'm not sleeping well at all - when my alarm went off at 8 today I had been asleep for less than 2 hours and I just didn't have the motivation.

However, I want to stay out of student support as much as possible - uni was meant to be my chance to start again and not be this person, but here I am... skipping lectures and falling behind already.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    I think you have to be honest with yourself first.
    How much of this do you have under control? Will you be able to manage it yourself?

Personally I'd agree with Tiger that you should be honest, so they know and then they can allow for it. If they dont , then they cant.

Its not a weakness to ask for help. Its best to address it now before it gets worse. You can take one lecture on the chin, but what about the next?

You cna also get help from outside.charities if you really have yo keep ot out of uni, but you cnat really ignore the fight you have with your conditions, especially as they arent ignoring you.

Can I just add OP, that my concern is not the depression or anxiety (lots of people have those), but if it continues to get tougher, then it will trigger the anorexia and you could find yourself in a very isolated position.

This is where you need to fight for yourself and that means being smart, diy if you can and must but it will be easier if you et assistance and your department knows or at least someone who cna support you. the aim is to stop a situation developing. Its not too late to take control and deal with it effectively so you get back on top of the anxiety and depression, thereby enabling yourself to have a happy experience.

Uni services are always confidential, some of them such as advice lines can be anonymous as well.
    Its not weakness to ask for help, when you need it, its smart to accpet you could do better with it. Please get some.

Thank you, I've filled it out as honestly as I feel I can so I guess I just go from here!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.