Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just got offered a job on this scheme to start in cheltenham or Exeter in November.

Is anybody else on this scheme?

ReputationRep:
    What is this scheme about?

It's about commercial banking.

You get investment banking. Then corporate banking. Then commercial banking.

It's very low down the food chain. Belongs to that subforum with the beancounters really.

You know its true. Honestly, how does raising 50k for a cornershop compare to raising 20 billion for a multi-national company?

Get some bloody weirdos and fools around this place.

ReputationRep:
    lol..

Weirdo? what u on about...

After the two year scheme you get to deal with bigger clients then onto inv.. then corporate..

do any of u guys have graduate schemes to go 2?

(Original post by Ecossewarrior)
    After the two year scheme you get to deal with bigger clients then onto inv.. then corporate..
    Er, no. Commercial banking is lending peanuts to monkeys. Once the finance requirements get large enough, they leave the commercial bank and move to the corporate and then onto the investment.

The actual staff just sit their bums down in their division.

You've got an offer for a job you don't even understand or know. That's just hilarious.

do any of u guys have graduate schemes to go 2?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    You know its true. Honestly, how does raising 50k for a cornershop compare to raising 20 billion for a multi-national company?
    It's different. Firstly, on a £20bn deal some little analyst is going to be a powerpoint/excel monkey, whereas on a £50k deal they're likely to be the sole contact. On smaller deals you get real ownership. Secondly some people are interested in entrepreneurship and small businesses, so working on the finance side there is far more valuable experience of how to get the capital to get a business off the ground than working on £20bn deals that you'll never get to be on the other side of.

I'd far rather have ownership of my work, have deals that I'm personally responsible for, than be some monkey on a team dealing with huge deals. I don't get why all the FO people think everything else is monkey work, when most of FO seems like monkey work to me, at least in M&A. You're doing excel and powerpoint stuff, not meeting with clients, making decisions or doing anything by the legwork. Analysts only do the legwork in M&A, quite a far cry from most other finance positions where, due to smaller amounts of money involved, analysts get their own deals and projects.

But aside from all that, there's no need to insult people. Especially when they're half right - the HSBC commercial management scheme does often get people moving to different parts of HSBC if it's felt they're needed there. Plenty of people move from outside IB, from accountancy or consultancy or other careers, into IB. It's not impossible to do that within a firm, especially when you're on a structured grad scheme that are harder to get into than ordinary positions.

I think on a certain other forum, the idea of getting ownership of a 'real' issue came up. Whether or not this is significant on the other hand, is different.

And when it comes to reproducing, consistently, the same kind of loan over and over again... (small, maybe secured, maybe not - broadly along the same kind of credit rating) - you might get ownership but it is on a mundane, repeatingly similar and insignificant affair.

At the very least, the money work of M&A hits the pages of the newspapers as a deal.

Significant money work in a team of people who are successful and had to show their class and ability or insignificant money work on your own that you own but with people who are ebbing along regularly at almost the absolutely bottom end of the financial ladder?

(with only pure retail possibly getting lower - lending 3 or 4 figure sums in a purely commoditised market)

Whichever way you see it being, this definitely isn't anything related to this forum on investment banking. Accountancy corporate finance is at the very least a lot closer. Same goes for legal M&A. Even project finance for engineers would fit better.

ReputationRep:
    Dont commercial bankers work in retail branches? in the back? behind the cash counter? Im sure for some banks this is the case...

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are placed behind the "counter staff"

A lot of the people in these forums think they know everything! smug people!

I am going into a job where I can visit clients (getting me out of the office).

I used to own a business a few years back so I know how hard it can be to gain the capital amounts to get started.

This job will help me to help people to gain these sums of money.

I could have tried to get in a graduate auditing scheme however life is not all about money, it's about enjoying your job and your life. Why would I want to work stupid amounts of hours a day just so I can be too tired to do anything at nights.

I enjoy football and boxing during the week and if I have enough money to keep me going then im happy.

This is the only forum I use where I feel everybody thinks they are a step above people like myself. I am going into a job where I will be making more money than my mum has made in here career so im happy!

END OF RANT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Er, no. Commercial banking is lending peanuts to monkeys. Once the finance requirements get large enough, they leave the commercial bank and move to the corporate and then onto the investment.

The actual staff just sit their bums down in their division.
    How vaguely conceited.

Look at what the "cool" investment bankers have done in the meanwhile.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.