Sharing Details About Past Hook Ups

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

I have been with my boyfriend for around 6 months now and things are going great. But we have never talked about our past relationships or hook ups in any detail. I only know that I'm the longest relationship he has had. And he knows that my last two relationships ended badly with me being cheated on.

So two years ago, after my last relationship broke down I was single for the first time at uni. I went out lots and sometimes hook up with a guy at the end of the night. My question is should I tell my current boyfriend about these guys, I haven't because they meant nothing to me. My issue is that these hook ups, my boyfriend and me are all in the same sports club (its huge and none of them are friends with my boyfriend). The guys I hooked up with are known to do this kind of thing and the other night my boyfriend joked around about them trying it on with me. I didn't know what to tell him so just laughed it off. But now I am feeling really bad for not telling the truth, but the past is the past.

Can anyone shed some light on what they think i should do? Am I right to not tell him? I don't want him to feel bad when he sees these guys round uni.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't.

No need to share details about one's past sex life, it usually only causes problems. If someone else brings it up than you may wish to speak to your boyfriend privately about it, but unless it becomes an issue then I really don't see the point.

ReputationRep:
    Unnecessary. But it will help him A LOT IN THE LONG RUN.

He will realise you're not a unique special snowflake - those don't exist.

However, unless you've got a hidden agenda, there is nothing you can gain from disclosing your 'past'.

It's not really your past. But you know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been with my boyfriend for around 6 months now and things are going great. But we have never talked about our past relationships or hook ups in any detail. I only know that I'm the longest relationship he has had. And he knows that my last two relationships ended badly with me being cheated on.

So two years ago, after my last relationship broke down I was single for the first time at uni. I went out lots and sometimes hook up with a guy at the end of the night. My question is should I tell my current boyfriend about these guys, I haven't because they meant nothing to me. My issue is that these hook ups, my boyfriend and me are all in the same sports club (its huge and none of them are friends with my boyfriend). The guys I hooked up with are known to do this kind of thing and the other night my boyfriend joked around about them trying it on with me. I didn't know what to tell him so just laughed it off. But now I am feeling really bad for not telling the truth, but the past is the past.

Can anyone shed some light on what they think i should do? Am I right to not tell him? I don't want him to feel bad when he sees these guys round uni.
    If the moment rises, tell him. But, don't make it a big deal because it isn't a big deal at all. Just loosely mention it.

Otherwise if you don't and it gets back to him , he is going to wonder why you didn't tell him, which could result in him thinking there is more to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StfuPls)
    Unnecessary. But it will help him A LOT IN THE LONG RUN.

He will realise you're not a unique special snowflake - those don't exist.

However, unless you've got a hidden agenda, there is nothing you can gain from disclosing your 'past'.

It's not really your past. But you know
    Aw, I'd like to be a unique special snowflake.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.