3.45%
    80%
    0.86%
    90%
    2.09%

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Approx what % of UK students at Cambridge or Oxford are from state schools (comprehensives, grammars, sixth form colleges, etc)?

It seems only 1 in 20 teachers know the answer.

Do you? (Vote in the poll before checking ! )

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...pils-interview
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    I got it right! :excited:

I wonder what that is compared to how many of the general population go to state/private schools?

ReputationRep:
    I already knew it was 60%, but in the general population 93% of students go to state schools, but that falls to 82% of sixth formers.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    I got it right! :excited:

I wonder what that is compared to how many of the general population go to state/private schools?
    Congrats!

Only approx 20% of over 16s go to private schools, so yes they are over-represented at Oxbridge but the proportion of state to private is "improving".
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was lower than it actually is.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This is actually more than I expected.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    I thought it was lower than it actually is.
    (Original post by SM6)
    This is actually more than I expected.
    Which is what most think too, including teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Which is what most think too, including teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah. Usually I've heard from a lot of people that their teachers usually aren't supportive of applying to Oxbridge in state schools.

ReputationRep:
    Approx what % of UK students at Cambridge or Oxford are from state schools (comprehensives, grammars, sixth form colleges, etc)?

It seems only 1 in 20 teachers know the answer.

Do you? (Vote in the poll before checking ! )

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...pils-interview
    The statistics tend to obscure some issues though - state-vs-private schooling isn't the only marker for inequality. Actually, when you look at household incomes as the indicator, all of Britain's top universities have become markedly less equal over the last 25 years and the Russell Group ones particularly so.

ReputationRep:
    I knew it was 60% but I've always found the fact people skip over grammar school's overrepresentation at Oxbridge quite odd - there's representation problems inside the state sector too. Obviously, you'd expect grammar schools to have an edge on non selective state schools but then the same logic applies to private schools (which are often selective too - especially the ones famous for getting people into Oxbridge). I live near one of the most successful non selective sixth forms for Oxbridge entry but secret is like 10/20% of their cohort are originally from private school... However once applied the chances of someone getting in are reasonably similar independent of type of school which is fortunate
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    I already knew it was 60%, but in the general population 93% of students go to state schools, but that falls to 82% of sixth formers.
    89% of all UK university entrants went to state school: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-anal...cators/summary :cool:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    89% of all UK university entrants went to state school: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-anal...cators/summary :cool:
    Ooh. Thanks.

Is there a chart showing state schooled university entrants % over time for Oxbridge, RG, and overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Scary that one in ten respondents to this poll thought that the proportion of Oxbridge students educated at a state school was 10%.

ReputationRep:
    What proportion of those state school students attended grammar schools, out of curiosity? Anyone know?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Ooh. Thanks.

Is there a chart showing state schooled university entrants % over time for Oxbridge, RG, and overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not on the website - the data is all public domain but it's all in separate spreadsheets for each year.

And I'm a sad muppet so....

Name:  StateSchool Entrant % over time.PNG
Views: 153
Size:  2.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Not on the website - the data is all public domain but it's all in separate spreadsheets for each year.

And I'm a sad muppet so....

Name:  StateSchool Entrant % over time.PNG
Views: 153
Size:  2.9 KB
    You just did those graphs, didn't you?

You can take the boy out of Oxbridge...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    You just did those graphs, didn't you?

You can take the boy out of Oxbridge...
    a) I'm not a boy
    b) I didn't go to oxbridge (I didn't even apply :eek3: )

(but c) yes I did)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    What proportion of those state school students attended grammar schools, out of curiosity? Anyone know?
    From Sutton Trust here (http://www.suttontrust.com/wp-conten...s-01.02.16.pdf) 20% of state school students at Oxbridge were from grammar schools, meaning overall they made up 12% of entrants. With only ~5% of students in UK attending grammar schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    a) I'm not a boy
    b) I didn't go to oxbridge (I didn't even apply :eek3: )

(but c) yes I did)
    1 out of 3 ain't bad

Sorry for making assumptions. A bad habit, non? The graph is useful, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    The statistics tend to obscure some issues though - state-vs-private schooling isn't the only marker for inequality. Actually, when you look at household incomes as the indicator, all of Britain's top universities have become markedly less equal over the last 25 years and the Russell Group ones particularly so.
    It always seems odd to me that grammar schools are lumped into the same category as comprehensive schools. I would have thought people interested in the education system would have looked into this one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.