Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to write about 2 courses in 1 personal statement? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've been writing my personal statement for uni and I'm applying for 2 courses (Software Engineering and Computer Forensics) but obviously I am only allowed one PS. One of the questions for the statement is why does this course interest you? Obviously I know why I'm interested in these courses but I was wondering if you have any tips on how to answer this question without mentioning the name of the course but also answer why I'm interested in both courses?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    While they sound quite similar I don't think they are so you may struggle. I don't think you can write one PS for both but I'm going to quote in a colleague who knows more about this than I do PQ
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CH558)
    So I've been writing my personal statement for uni and I'm applying for 2 courses (Software Engineering and Computer Forensics) but obviously I am only allowed one PS. One of the questions for the statement is why does this course interest you? Obviously I know why I'm interested in these courses but I was wondering if you have any tips on how to answer this question without mentioning the name of the course but also answer why I'm interested in both courses?
    Computer forensics is quite a rare course - I'd imagine that's the course that makes up the fewest of your choices?

If so I would recommend contacting the universities concerned and asking outright if they would mind you applying to the course with a Software Engineering focused PS. They're likely to say yes, or they might ask for your to submit an additional short PS (1000-2000 characters or so) explaining your interest in forensics. Either way you'll get a nice clear answer on whether you can use a SEng PS (and if so your job writing a good PS will be easier).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.