How to tell parents about relation ship [Long distance over 2 years]

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.
    Me and my girlfriend we met online on summer 2014 and chat everyday literally everyday since we met we have like 700 000+ messages on facebook lol such a no lives, we facetime often as well and call BUT lets get back to topic

We been over 2 years together now, we havent met yet BUT we want to meet finally this year during Christmas time for about 2 weeks. The thing is oh yeah im 19 shes 17 but in few weeks turns 18 and the thing is Before i will buy the ticket which is quite expensive [600-1000£] i want her to tell her parents about us since hey its been 2 years, and i want to make sure 100% she can come here and not as she says ''buy ticket the ticket so i will have to tell parents '' and she should've tell them already long time ago but she can't before there was always some problems arguments because she cant tell them shes scared etc etc.. she tried to telling her parents recently but all she said ''i have a boyfriend '' randomly out of no where and i feel like her dad took it as joke saying ''ohh.. stop being childish and talked about something else'' so he just didnt took it seriously.

Question : How can she tell her parents about us ? any ideas guys ? i send her ''shia labeouf just do it'' video but seems to not motivate her enough lol

Any ideas guys or most important Girls ideas since she is a girl so how you girls would tell your parents about your long distance relationship :?

Thanks much for help !

Does she live in a different country?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe meet up first to see if there is any chemistry, I mean if anything you'll get a two week holiday out of it. You shouldn't push her to tell her parents, she will in her own time. She could possibly be worried that she will tell them, then meet you, and you both decide there's no chemistry?

(Original post by i3arty)
    Hi all.
    Me and my girlfriend we met online on summer 2014 and chat everyday literally everyday since we met we have like 700 000+ messages on facebook lol such a no lives, we facetime often as well and call BUT lets get back to topic

We been over 2 years together now, we havent met yet BUT we want to meet finally this year during Christmas time for about 2 weeks. The thing is oh yeah im 19 shes 17 but in few weeks turns 18 and the thing is Before i will buy the ticket which is quite expensive [600-1000£] i want her to tell her parents about us since hey its been 2 years, and i want to make sure 100% she can come here and not as she says ''buy ticket the ticket so i will have to tell parents '' and she should've tell them already long time ago but she can't before there was always some problems arguments because she cant tell them shes scared etc etc.. she tried to telling her parents recently but all she said ''i have a boyfriend '' randomly out of no where and i feel like her dad took it as joke saying ''ohh.. stop being childish and talked about something else'' so he just didnt took it seriously.

Question : How can she tell her parents about us ? any ideas guys ? i send her ''shia labeouf just do it'' video but seems to not motivate her enough lol

Any ideas guys or most important Girls ideas since she is a girl so how you girls would tell your parents about your long distance relationship :?

Thanks much for help !
    1. Have you told your parents about your plan? What do they think?

2. As for her parents are they religious? Are they from a different (non western) culture? Does she get on well with them?

Almost certain they will treat it with scepticism and not like the idea one bit of their daughter going to meet a stranger in a foreign country. I think they will forbid it.
    They dont know you and you could be anyone.

I think the easiest way is to tell them she has a pen friend who she has been in communication with for a long time, let them get used to the idea rather than going straight for bf. As the time goes on she cna then go for the idea that youd like to meet up.

I do not think they will allow her to come to you. You coul be an axe murderer or worse. It would make more sense if you wnet to bisit her so they could see you in person and that there was some onvolvement of your parents so they could vouch for you.

I really dont think you appreciate what you are intending to do.
    I am sceptical your parents will be happy you spedn £600-£1000 on a stranger.
    I would be surprised if they let their child fly to a foreign country to meet a stranger. They dont know you. Makes more sense froma safety aspect for you to bisit them. Get your parents involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    At at least £600/ticket it's likely to be a yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    Yes shes in usa im in uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eemooz)
    Maybe meet up first to see if there is any chemistry, I mean if anything you'll get a two week holiday out of it. You shouldn't push her to tell her parents, she will in her own time. She could possibly be worried that she will tell them, then meet you, and you both decide there's no chemistry?
    I cant meet her because i got rejected for visa.... So only she can come hereto uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    1. Have you told your parents about your plan? What do they think?

2. As for her parents are they religious? Are they from a different (non western) culture? Does she get on well with them?

Almost certain they will treat it with scepticism and not like the idea one bit of their daughter going to meet a stranger in a foreign country. I think they will forbid it.
    They dont know you and you could be anyone.

I think the easiest way is to tell them she has a pen friend who she has been in communication with for a long time, let them get used to the idea rather than going straight for bf. As the time goes on she cna then go for the idea that youd like to meet up.

I do not think they will allow her to come to you. You coul be an axe murderer or worse. It would make more sense if you wnet to bisit her so they could see you in person and that there was some onvolvement of your parents so they could vouch for you.

I really dont think you appreciate what you are intending to do.
    I am sceptical your parents will be happy you spedn £600-£1000 on a stranger.
    I would be surprised if they let their child fly to a foreign country to meet a stranger. They dont know you. Makes more sense froma safety aspect for you to bisit them. Get your parents involved.
    Mine already know about us being together but i havent told them yet about our plan meeting as she havent even told her parents about us being togetherShes same religion as me, her parents arent that strict and i think she gets well with themShe told them she has friend in some other country she meet online, because we used to send parcels and letters to each other and they saw it and ask who it was but she said a friend from uk so i think now time to tell about that its not friend but bfI wish i could i got rejected for visa... Ao i cant come to her unless i reapply and lie that im going for travel and not to visit a friend/girlfriendIts not a stranger... We been face timing everyday chatting sending letters its been 2 years and as i said because of america i need visa and got rejected because was just honest but i see you need to lie to get somewhereSo the only way is her coming here but she cant just come her parents need to know where she going who am i etc etc so i want her parents to know and be ok with it before i buy ticket

ReputationRep:
    I cant meet her because i got rejected for visa.... So only she can come hereto uk
    What's the ethnicity of her parents? I know that's a bit..blunt, but many Asian and Arab parents would go apeshit, regardless of the fact that you're from another country

Mine already know about us being together but i havent told them yet about our plan meeting as she havent even told her parents about us being togetherShes same religion as me, her parents arent that strict and i think she gets well with themShe told them she has friend in some other country she meet online, because we used to send parcels and letters to each other and they saw it and ask who it was but she said a friend from uk so i think now time to tell about that its not friend but bfI wish i could i got rejected for visa... Ao i cant come to her unless i reapply and lie that im going for travel and not to visit a friend/girlfriendIts not a stranger... We been face timing everyday chatting sending letters its been 2 years and as i said because of america i need visa and got rejected because was just honest but i see you need to lie to get somewhereSo the only way is her coming here but she cant just come her parents need to know where she going who am i etc etc so i want her parents to know and be ok with it before i buy ticket
    I still think the chance of them letting their 18 year old daughter go to a foreign country to meet up with someone off the internet is remote.

You might want to look at why you got rejected and reapplying.

Are you muslim by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I still think the chance of them letting their 18 year old daughter go to a foreign country to meet up with someone off the internet is remote.

You might want to look at why you got rejected and reapplying.

Are you muslim by any chance?
    No im not muslim, i got rejected most likely because the woman was not in mood, was rude af when she said ''HI.... '' with serious face i already knew she probably dont give me visa, shouldve go to this other guy who seemed nice but its whatever now.

UP her parents are Asian but they seem really chill... when her dad got the box from me it had address name and everything on it and he asked her who is it and she said ''friend'' and idk they seem not to care about it and she told me he even looked up me on facebook once like year ago

No im not muslim, i got rejected most likely because the woman was not in mood, was rude af when she said ''HI.... '' with serious face i already knew she probably dont give me visa, shouldve go to this other guy who seemed nice but its whatever now.

UP her parents are Asian but they seem really chill... when her dad got the box from me it had address name and everything on it and he asked her who is it and she said ''friend'' and idk they seem not to care about it and she told me he even looked up me on facebook once like year ago
    well maybe next time you are chatting to her you cna introduce yourself, especially if they already know about you. I wouldnt mention about dating tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiousity

You've been skyping and stuff right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elastichedgehog)
    Just out of curiousity

You've been skyping and stuff right?
    Yeah skyping often

And she just told them over text i said no cuz it might be fail like you can only say it wrong once like 1st impression most important, so i thought it would be better to tell in person but she text them she has a boyfriend and they even said my name right and seemed pretty chill idk weird situation guys.
    We been struggling with tons of ideas how she could tell them and they are chill about it and already know about me ? Weird situation... but since they are chill about it i guess its good . Either way thanks for help guys !

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.