Do i drop my 4th a level? help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a Y12 student who has chosen Chemistry, maths, physics and economics a levels. I want to study a science degree at university and so will need Chemistry Maths and Physics a levels. The only one I could drop after Y1 is Maths as that is the only one out of my 4 which is unreformed. However I wouldn't drop maths. If I had to drop one it would be economics since it is the least relevant to my degree and I enjoy it less than my other subjects. My question is do I drop economics and do 3 + epq or continue with 4? I need to make a decision very very soon before I make a 2 year commitment to economics. The only reason I am doing 4 is because I am worried I will look less competitive as a candidate for a tough course at a great uni. Also I did see that at Imperial College for one course they did make most offers based on a certain combination of 4 a levels. Most at my college are doing 3 with a very small minority doing 4. Please can someone help me make a decision!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MBK14)
    Hi, I am a Y12 student who has chosen Chemistry, maths, physics and economics a levels. I want to study a science degree at university and so will need Chemistry Maths and Physics a levels. The only one I could drop after Y1 is Maths as that is the only one out of my 4 which is unreformed. However I wouldn't drop maths. If I had to drop one it would be economics since it is the least relevant to my degree and I enjoy it less than my other subjects. My question is do I drop economics and do 3 + epq or continue with 4? I need to make a decision very very soon before I make a 2 year commitment to economics. The only reason I am doing 4 is because I am worried I will look less competitive as a candidate for a tough course at a great uni. Also I did see that at Imperial College for one course they did make most offers based on a certain combination of 4 a levels. Most at my college are doing 3 with a very small minority doing 4. Please can someone help me make a decision!!
    In our school, most r subjects you can drop even though they are reformed eg you can drop bio (walk away with the AS grade) even though we r being taught the reformed spec that was introduced last year. Most ppl plan to drop as they (and teachers in fact) say that unis like that u have attempted one subject at AS but obviously only ask for three grades At the end of the two years.
    But in ur circumstance I'd say drop economics if it won't help u as you want to focus on ur other subjects as much as possibl. I do recommend that I find a work placement so that u can also write about the skills u gained in ur personal statement. 3 Alevels should be fine
    I do 4 because I think I might not do so well in one subject but do intend to drop it after yr12

ReputationRep:
    You seem really sure about what you want to do at Uni. It seems you don't really enjoy economics. Then the answer is clear. Just drop economics. Do an epq only if you can - remember there'll be loads of stuff going on: Personal statement, researching courses, Voluntary work, work experience, other placements, activities and stuff that would be useful to put in your statement.

Also you don't need 4 A-levels for whatever uni. No uni requires 4 A-levels, they might require a 4th AS but not a 4th A-level as far as I'm aware. Don't let that one mention of 4 A-levels cloud your judgement. For you, it's probably more worth it to get 3 amazing grades and extra curricular activities and whatever the hell else you want to boost your personal statement with and becoming an overall rounded person.

I wanted to take 4 courses, but I'm actually very happy I DIDN'T. I thought I could handle it at the time - but my circumstances aren't like most other people's. I have family problems and other commitments and a very noisy and stressful life. Put that together with the facts that I didn't really know how to study to get top grades, and only now knowing how much work needs to go into the personal statement etc means that this decision to drop chemistry at A2 was VERY wise.

If, and only if you've got 4 As and very high marks and also enjoy ALL subjects thoroughly, take 4 A-levels. I would do an epq if I were you. As with nearly all things, research this EPQ business beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiritsugu)
    You seem really sure about what you want to do at Uni. It seems you don't really enjoy economics. Then the answer is clear. Just drop economics. Do an epq only if you can - remember there'll be loads of stuff going on: Personal statement, researching courses, Voluntary work, work experience, other placements, activities and stuff that would be useful to put in your statement.

Also you don't need 4 A-levels for whatever uni. No uni requires 4 A-levels, they might require a 4th AS but not a 4th A-level as far as I'm aware. Don't let that one mention of 4 A-levels cloud your judgement. For you, it's probably more worth it to get 3 amazing grades and extra curricular activities and whatever the hell else you want to boost your personal statement with and becoming an overall rounded person.

I wanted to take 4 courses, but I'm actually very happy I DIDN'T. I thought I could handle it at the time - but my circumstances aren't like most other people's. I have family problems and other commitments and a very noisy and stressful life. Put that together with the facts that I didn't really know how to study to get top grades, and only now knowing how much work needs to go into the personal statement etc means that this decision to drop chemistry at A2 was VERY wise.

If, and only if you've got 4 As and very high marks and also enjoy ALL subjects thoroughly, take 4 A-levels. I would do an epq if I were you. As with nearly all things, research this EPQ business beforehand.
    Thanks a lot you've really helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
Poll
Electronic notes or handwritten notes?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.