4 A levels??

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice:
    Currently I'm doing 4 A levels (Maths, Bio, Chem & Physics) however I'm being pressured by some of my subject teachers to drop one ( although all of them want me to keep their specific subject)

I'm finding all of the subjects rather easy at the moment, although I am aware they will get harder, so its making the decision as to whether I should drop one, and which I should drop if I chose to, rather hard.

Any advice from anyone who's doing these subjects or who has previously done them at AS/A Level would be much appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any idea what you want to study at university or what career you would like to go into? I started off this year (12) doing maths, further maths, physics and engineering and I've already dropped engineering. Not because any of the subejcts are hard just because it allows me to really do well in my three chosen subjects and it gives me extra time to take on projects and extra curriculars which will enhance my CV and personal statement more then a fourth A level. In reality Universitites only make offers based on 3 A levels so isn't it better to get 3A*s then 4 A's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cgoddard95)
    Currently I'm doing 4 A levels (Maths, Bio, Chem & Physics) however I'm being pressured by some of my subject teachers to drop one ( although all of them want me to keep their specific subject)

I'm finding all of the subjects rather easy at the moment, although I am aware they will get harder, so its making the decision as to whether I should drop one, and which I should drop if I chose to, rather hard.

Any advice from anyone who's doing these subjects or who has previously done them at AS/A Level would be much appreciated...
    I didn't do physics, but juggling 4 Alevels isn't that hard. I think however many you do, you will feel like you have a lot on your plate- You hear people doing 5 Alevels complain that they have so much to do, but people doing 3 complain just as much!
    If you ever feel like it's all too much, remember that everyone feels overwhelmed with Alevels at some point (usually with the workload), that's totally normal!
    I didn't find that Alevels got harder, but the amount of content in your second year for things like Bio does (quite dramatically) increase.
    Don't drop Chemistryy! It's really enjoyable, interesting and required/ favored by a lot of unis when applying for certain courses
    Good luck with Alevels, try and stay positive throughout your time studying them, they really aren't as hard as people make out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cgoddard95)

If you really enjoy these subjects and you do well then you don't have to drop any unless your not to keen or interested in a particular subject.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing the same subjects as you and feel quite similar about my workload. Currently I am considering taking the AS physics exam at the end of this year so I could always drop it during year 2 if I need to and still have something from it, maybe you want to consider that for your 4th subject. However I am fairly set on doing 4 as I feel it is quite manageable and so far I think I am being proved right (hopefully I won't regret saying that!)

On the other hand, if your subject teachers still want you on their subject it obviously shows you are pretty good at it so I wouldn't be that worried about needing to drop one. Also maybe talk to your head of sixth form/form tutor about it or a teacher who knows you well as your subject teachers might not as well yet.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing my GCSE, and I'm wondering why nobody could get 5A*at A-level. I'm in year 13. I'm gonna to choose maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, engineering, and a-level Chinese. Is that possible to get 6A*? If I get 6A* does that mean I'm legend.
    I think A-level is not that hard, the subjects you have chosen are easy to get A*.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing AS or A2?

In the first two months of AS I did all three sciences, maths AND further maths. That was a bit much because of the amount of maths work I had swamped me, and that + three sciences was too much.

However, I wouldn't advise dropping any right now. Do all of them at AS and work hard. It isn't too difficult now, but when you do mocks and you approach exam season you will see that the new AS' especially can be a bit harder than you thought.
    Don't drop any because you might regret it, just work hard, and ignore your teachers

Good luck

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.