Sickle cell disease Watch

white_o
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So the gene for beta-globulin is HbA, in a person with sickle cell trait, does this come in 2 alleles, the normal allele and the allele with the SNP causing sickle cell disease (which codes for HbS)?
Thanks.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, there are two alleles: HbA and HbS.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The genetic transmission of sickle cell disease is of the autosomal recessive type, i.e. the actual disease occurs only if both alleles are abnormal HbS. In sickle cell trait, only one allele is HbS, and this cannot "dominate" the other normal allele, HbA, as the former is recessive (not dominant).

The "patient" with sickle cell trait does not have his/her haemoglobin with the abnormal amino acid valine instead of glutamic acid at position 6, so he/she has NO symptoms of sickle cell disease.
Jpw1097
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by macpatelgh)
The genetic transmission of sickle cell disease is of the autosomal recessive type, i.e. the actual disease occurs only if both alleles are abnormal HbS. In sickle cell trait, only one allele is HbS, and this cannot "dominate" the other normal allele, HbA, as the former is recessive (not dominant).

The "patient" with sickle cell trait does not have his/her haemoglobin with the abnormal amino acid valine instead of glutamic acid at position 6, so he/she has NO symptoms of sickle cell disease.
That is incorrect. The HbS allele is not recessive with respect to the HbA allele - it is codominant. Hence, an individual who is heterozygous will produce both normal and mutant haemoglobin. Those who are heterozygous are said to have sickle cell trait. Their symptoms are not as severe as those with sickle cell disease.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.11%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.93%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (193)
30.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed