Worcester or Christ Church?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Helloooo so I'm applying to Oxford for Law and although the deadline is approaching I am not yet sure which college to choose...

I like both, Worcester and Christ Church, very much! Can some Oxforders please advice me on which on to choose?

I am a very active person so the possibility to go out and move is very important to me! I play tennis competitively and would like to keep training during uni... I am a very open minded person and enjoy discussing and exchanging minds with others... Aaaaand I enjoy being surrounded by a warm and welcoming community...

Has any of you a feeling of which could fit me better?

I like Worcester a lot because of the sports ground and wondered how far the Christchurch sports ground is away from the college... For Christ Church I liked very much the JCR and welfare... But I am not sure if it is actually any different or more active than at Worcester..? Is it true that both have good food and a very good law library?

thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Ch Ch does have good sports facilities - see here. A lot of people jog around Christchurch Meadow and along the banks of the Cherwell and Isis, as they are right outside the Meadows gate. Going that way, the sports ground is only about 10 minutes away, and adjacent to the Iffley Road sports centre (swimming pool, gym etc with free membership!) and the Liddell residences, where a lot of 2nd years live. It all looks rather lovely.

Food is a bit too subjective for comment.

ChCh has a dedicated Law Library open 24 hours.

As for the general feel, you might want to look at the comments by TLG and me here

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised The_Lonely_Goatherd hasn't replied yet...

:rave:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I'm surprised The_Lonely_Goatherd hasn't replied yet...

:rave:
    Oooh, I've been summoned! :ahee:

:hat2:

(Original post by gsundl)
    Helloooo so I'm applying to Oxford for Law and although the deadline is approaching I am not yet sure which college to choose...

I like both, Worcester and Christ Church, very much! Can some Oxforders please advice me on which on to choose?

I am a very active person so the possibility to go out and move is very important to me! I play tennis competitively and would like to keep training during uni... I am a very open minded person and enjoy discussing and exchanging minds with others... Aaaaand I enjoy being surrounded by a warm and welcoming community...

Has any of you a feeling of which could fit me better?

I like Worcester a lot because of the sports ground and wondered how far the Christchurch sports ground is away from the college... For Christ Church I liked very much the JCR and welfare... But I am not sure if it is actually any different or more active than at Worcester..? Is it true that both have good food and a very good law library?

thanks in advance!
    :hi:

Woosta (Worcester) does indeed have good food. Very yummy and reasonably priced :yep: I understand it's a bit different now from when I was there, but formal hall used to be under £4! :eek:

We have a law library but I've never been in it... I do believe that is one of the reasons lawyers like to apply to us though, so I assume it's good! :yep:

Our JCR room itself is a bit ****, ngl, but as you have noted, we have great provision for sports :yep: We also have a LAKE, and DUCKS, and LAWNS YOU CAN WALK ON :awesome: We are a warm and friendly bunch, though I imagine Christ Church would be too

The biggest difference between us and Christ Church is that CC always has a shitload of tourists, due to Harry Potter-ness. Woosta is very quiet - we get far fewer. We tend to get local artists and locals walking around with their grandkids in the summer, but that's pretty much about it :yes: Not that shitloads of tourists is necessarily a bad thing, but some (myself included) would find that kinda grating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxFossil)
    Ch Ch does have good sports facilities - see here. A lot of people jog around Christchurch Meadow and along the banks of the Cherwell and Isis, as they are right outside the Meadows gate. Going that way, the sports ground is only about 10 minutes away, and adjacent to the Iffley Road sports centre (swimming pool, gym etc with free membership!) and the Liddell residences, where a lot of 2nd years live. It all looks rather lovely.

Food is a bit too subjective for comment.

ChCh has a dedicated Law Library open 24 hours.

As for the general feel, you might want to look at the comments by TLG and me here
    Thank you! I've also had a look at your previous comments and it was really helpful... The problem is, that it made me just like both of them even more haha... may I ask... Could you maybe describe me the atmosphere at Christ Church? I've read on the The student room's pros and cons list about the colleges that Christ Church has this Sunday picnics etc. so it seemed to me to be a very sociable college, where its easy to get to know new people... Is there a difference between the students at Worcester and ChCh?

Thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    Is there a difference between the students at Worcester and ChCh?
    :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Oooh, I've been summoned! :ahee:

:hat2:

:hi:

Woosta (Worcester) does indeed have good food. Very yummy and reasonably priced :yep: I understand it's a bit different now from when I was there, but formal hall used to be under £4! :eek:

We have a law library but I've never been in it... I do believe that is one of the reasons lawyers like to apply to us though, so I assume it's good! :yep:

Our JCR room itself is a bit ****, ngl, but as you have noted, we have great provision for sports :yep: We also have a LAKE, and DUCKS, and LAWNS YOU CAN WALK ON :awesome: We are a warm and friendly bunch, though I imagine Christ Church would be too

The biggest difference between us and Christ Church is that CC always has a shitload of tourists, due to Harry Potter-ness. Woosta is very quiet - we get far fewer. We tend to get local artists and locals walking around with their grandkids in the summer, but that's pretty much about it :yes: Not that shitloads of tourists is necessarily a bad thing, but some (myself included) would find that kinda grating
    So first of all: thank you tremendously! This is a super super detailed answer and both, OxFossil and you helped me very much! I see you are very fond of your college and that's wonderful! I wondered whether you think there is a difference in terms of student body between the two colleges? Also you wrote that at Woosta most people are involved in college societies or other activities so i wondered if there are other clubs than those I found on their JCR homepage... Are there any initiatives like Sunday picnic or some similar sociable events, like there are at ChCh? And last but probably most important... Is there a tennis team? And if so, does every college have one? I know that both colleges have tennis courts but i couldn't find out if both have teams...? And I know that Christ Church has 11 lawn courts and I think Woosta has 3 newly built courts on site, but does any of them also have the possibility to play during autumn and winter?

Thank you again!!!! I really appreciate it!

(btw.: would you guys recommend speculating on the college's previous admission quotes for my subject?)

ReputationRep:
    Could you maybe describe me the atmosphere at Christ Church?...Sunday picnics etc. so it seemed to me to be a very sociable college, where its easy to get to know new people... Is there a difference between the students at Worcester and ChCh?
    TLG is right - there's nothing to distinguish ChCh from Worcester U/Gs. As for the rest, I am sending you a PM....

ReputationRep:
    So first of all: thank you tremendously! This is a super super detailed answer and both, OxFossil and you helped me very much! I see you are very fond of your college and that's wonderful! I wondered whether you think there is a difference in terms of student body between the two colleges? Also you wrote that at Woosta most people are involved in college societies or other activities so i wondered if there are other clubs than those I found on their JCR homepage... Are there any initiatives like Sunday picnic or some similar sociable events, like there are at ChCh? And last but probably most important... Is there a tennis team? And if so, does every college have one? I know that both colleges have tennis courts but i couldn't find out if both have teams...? And I know that Christ Church has 11 lawn courts and I think Woosta has 3 newly built courts on site, but does any of them also have the possibility to play during autumn and winter?

Thank you again!!!! I really appreciate it!

(btw.: would you guys recommend speculating on the college's previous admission quotes for my subject?)
    Typing on phone so afraid I cannot reply at length...

Not sure bout tennis teams tbh as Sporty Spice wasn't my fave Spice Girl (put it that way!) I'd imagine you can play tennis at Woosta all year round though :yes:

Not sure what is listed on our JCR website but there are a variety of college societies, including sports (beginners-Blues levels!), music, Buskins (drama), Christian Union, politics and LGBT. Those are the main ones that come to my mind.

No Sunday picnics during my time but that was 6 yrs ago... Lots of welfare teas and stuff, esp. during 5th week.

Will be at uni (not Oxford - am a PhD student in London) all day today so won't be around to answer further questions. Good luck in deciding!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.