Will the UK get a good deal?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    The pound is falling, banks wants to leave the UK, will we get the deal that the PM wants? on immigration? Trade? Passporting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richard10012)
    The pound is falling, banks wants to leave the UK, will we get the deal that the PM wants? on immigration? Trade? Passporting?
    Whatever happens we can't complain because the pro-Breixt Mafia is out in full force and they have zero tolerance of anyone who criticises or objects to Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Whatever happens we can't complain because the pro-Breixt Mafia is out in full force and they have zero tolerance of anyone who criticises or objects to Brexit.
    You mean democracy?

ReputationRep:
    Considering how angry most EU countries are and how long it takes for anything to happen in this Brexit thing, I think we'll get a deal that leaves both sides equally unhappy.

ReputationRep:
    anything is better than being in the EU - I don't care what they throw together - I expect they'll get a very medicore and lackluster trade deal that is partially self-destructive from an EU perspective - they'd rather be poorer provided we're *also* poorer. you know the EU - just like an authoritarian structure - petty and stubborn as all hell within a insular bubble from common sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    You mean democracy?
    Calling people traitors and accusing them of treason for not wanting to destroy the country isn't really a cornerstone of democracy.

On topic, of course we won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Calling people traitors and accusing them of treason for not wanting to destroy the country isn't really a cornerstone of democracy.

For Democracy when it suits them against Democracy when it doesn't.
    the typical Brexit voter who didn't educate themselves.
    (i voted for Brexit and i regret it i mainly did it because i believed it wouldn't matter as in my eyes remain had already won)

ReputationRep:

You think any brexit MP would allow that, funny. Brexit won't ruin the country, our GPD will obviously be lower than before but wages at the end will be well better off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    anything is better than being in the EU - I don't care what they throw together - I expect they'll get a very medicore and lackluster trade deal that is partially self-destructive from an EU perspective - they'd rather be poorer provided we're *also* poorer. you know the EU - just like an authoritarian structure - petty and stubborn as all hell within a insular bubble from common sense
    WHY? Im genuinely intrigued to hear your view. Whats wrong with being in the EU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adzy11)
    WHY? Im genuinely intrigued to hear your view. Whats wrong with being in the EU
    1) the lack of national independence (democratic sovereignty) - no longer can we technically say that our parliament is sovereign in practice.
    2) the consequences of which are represented in this list: immigration and our lack of continental control. this means, because we're a wealthy country, we have one way traffic from eastern europe to here. naturally, the consequences of this are negative in terms of employment, wages, housing, education, over-population, etc
    3) EU regulations. just as an example close to me - the EU recent *banned* menthol cigarettes. I wanted to have some for my birthday this week, but because of the EU, I now cannot. and there's nothing our brexit'd government can about it until we actually leave. "is it so important though?" - it's not just this one law. for instance, my family had to buy a car where the headlights are literally *always* on and you can't turn them off. EU health and safety regulations. also, there's the laws about the strength of lightbulbs, hoovers and all that.
    4) the EU stops us from making our own trade deals. the EU itself is a horrifically slow institution when it makes its trade deals, so we suffer from that. china, for instance, has a free trade deal with both switzerland and iceland. the EU doesn't. free trade is good for all countries involved in them - both countries will develop economically from being able to attain that which they desire as it allows all the necessary production within that nation to occur. the EU makes us tariff countries we could be freely trading with. so we hence get less trade because there's a lack of an incentive to do so with EU states.
    5) the EU is, as an institution, very unaccountable and anti-democratic. the commission (the executive/government of the EU) cannot be removed and they are the only individuals that can propose laws or a repeal of laws. even if all EU states elected eurosceptic MEPs, they could never remove all the stupid laws that the EU has created. the EU also forces us to acccept very unorthadox court rulings in terms of british traditional common law - all the other EU countriers have civil law systems which is inconvenient, but then they also, via the ECJ, make us accept rulings like giving prisoners the right to vote (I'm not terribly opposed to it but I know that the vast majority of this country are not)
    6) the EU is corporatist - it creates laws that benefit the larger businesses and hinder small businesses, both on a european level and on an international level. for instance: if there's an industry that charges lower prices than EU businesses somewhere in the world, the EU will negate customers of the UK from their ability to get the best for the cheapest price by putting tariffs and non-tariff barriers upon those successful businesses - i.e. quota limits, rules and regulations that make it harder for certain parts of the world to conform to lawful arrangements, etc.

is this enough?

ReputationRep:

Your avatar is just embarrassing for you. You're essentially virtue signalling about an antidemocratic protectionist customs union hellbent on corporatist cronyism. I actually wonder if you know anything about the EU anyway, most die-hard Remoaners don't and just like to use it to virtue signal 'tolerance', 'unity' and 'openness'. I feel like you meet this criteria.

ReputationRep:
    They'll try to fudge immigration but won't get away with it. Regarding trade tariffs/passporting, it'll sting a bit but we'll survive :yy:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.