The Student Room Group

Medical school

Hey guys, I'm a second year medical student at Imperial and I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about GCSEs/A-levels, applying to medical school or what medical school is actually like. Also with the BMAT coming up you're welcome to ask me any questions about that and I can even offer some tutoring if anyone needs.
Reply 1
Original post by AortaStudyMore
Hey guys, I'm a second year medical student at Imperial and I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about GCSEs/A-levels, applying to medical school or what medical school is actually like. Also with the BMAT coming up you're welcome to ask me any questions about that and I can even offer some tutoring if anyone needs.

HI! Thanks for this offer. I am looking to apply to medicine next year however I was wondering what type of things can i do in addition to academia to improve my personal profile and make me a more sought after candidate?

Hey:smile:

How much of a step up is med school in terms of workload?

Similarly how much free time do you have?

Hi,

How should i go about preparing for interview?
Original post by ashooks
HI! Thanks for this offer. I am looking to apply to medicine next year however I was wondering what type of things can i do in addition to academia to improve my personal profile and make me a more sought after candidate?

Team sports are the best thing, volunteering, jobs, prefect at school, tutoring, music, DofE etc are all also pretty standard, but maybe try and do something a bit outside the box, something quirky or unique, as in, instead of doing football, do something a bit different like lacrosse or ice hockey or something (idk, they're just examples)
Original post by HopelessMedic
Hey:smile:

How much of a step up is med school in terms of workload?

Similarly how much free time do you have?

Probably the biggest step up so far, but you'll likely be too busy with freshers to notice! It's mainly lots of content rather than things being difficult, but in first year you'll be able to cram the work, I'm currently in second year and the work load is already ridiculous (I won't be able to cram this year), but you still have a lot of free time, it's just a matter of how well you use your time.
Original post by Kantth1
Hi,

How should i go about preparing for interview?

Read the news, read up about the medical school, learn your PS inside out and have typical answers prepared (like why do you want to do medicine) and then formulate some pros and cons for typical ethical scenarios (the scenario where you have one liver and like 5 people who need it is a classic). The main thing is to just have some ideas in your head for commonly asked questions, but don't memorise answers word for word or else you'll seem like a robot!
Read the news, read up about the medical school, learn your PS inside out and have typical answers prepared (like why do you want to do medicine) and then formulate some pros and cons for typical ethical scenarios (the scenario where you have one liver and like 5 people who need it is a classic). The main thing is to just have some ideas in your head for commonly asked questions, but don't memorise answers word for word or else you'll seem like a robot!

Thank you so much... this was really helpful 😎👍🏿

That's very generous of you, but this isn't Reddit. Feel free to contribute to the existing threads, AMAs aren't a thing here.
Original post by Democracy
That's very generous of you, but this isn't Reddit. Feel free to contribute to the existing threads, AMAs aren't a thing here.

lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending