A-level History advice

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    HelloI have started A-level History and I am in a bit of a serious and bad position. I failed my first year and therefore I am retaking this year with a new subject (History), but it feels like I am heading towards the same position as I was in last year.I have a really rubbish history teacher and every time I am in lesson I feel as though I am not learning anything as he just rambles on anything and everything relating to the topic. I just don't understand anything, or don't know what to take notes on or what will be relevant or not in the exam writing, and I am also new to History (never did it in GCSE).So I usually come home from college and try and study but I just don't know HOW TO STUDY HISTORY, and HOW to take notes from a book with not much information in it for at least a C in the exam. I don't know where to start and I just don't understand anything in the book or anything about the topic. Do you have any advice. Also, It is the Oxford AQA book and I am studying stuart britain and the crisis of monarchy 1603 - 1703thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm assuming you're doing new-spec AQA history, with breadth and depth topics? If not, tell me, as that's what I do so Im just going by what I know.

Study Tips!
    Mindmaps are your friends Do mindmaps, and group things into successes/failures. Group things into anything. Then add facts (I like to highlight facts in blue!)
    TALK to people!!! Explain everything to your friends, family etc. Just talk. Discuss. It really helps.
    So much timed practice Write each essay 3+ times. If your teacher has a list of possible essay questions, do plans for all of them (with so much detail!!!) and write each one as many times as you can.
    Flashcards??? Idk. Personally, I hate flashcards, as I just am too lazy to make/use them. But it's a good way to get oral repetition.

Mindset!
    HISTORY ISN'T CLINICAL!!! IT ISN'T A BUNCH OF BORING FACTS!!! Find the humour in everything! Like, I was studying American history and in each of my essays, I included a stupid quote by a President just to laugh at while I was writing. History is the most human subject you can do, approach it as a human, not a exam-machine.
    Exams aren't trying to deceive you!!! Exams are your friends!!!! (This applies to all subjects) Don't go into the exam looking for a trick question, answer what's in front of you.

Exam Technique
    Loads!!! Of!!! Timed!!! Practice!!!
    Structure:
    Intro
    Weaker Side (3 points with more detail than should be humanly possible)
    Why weaker side is weaker
    Stronger side (3 point with again, so much detail)
    Conc

+ It seems like History isn't really working for you, if you don't understand anything. Are you sure it's the right subject for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel58)
    Hi! I'm assuming you're doing new-spec AQA history, with breadth and depth topics? If not, tell me, as that's what I do so Im just going by what I know.

Study Tips!
    Mindmaps are your friends Do mindmaps, and group things into successes/failures. Group things into anything. Then add facts (I like to highlight facts in blue!)
    TALK to people!!! Explain everything to your friends, family etc. Just talk. Discuss. It really helps.
    So much timed practice Write each essay 3+ times. If your teacher has a list of possible essay questions, do plans for all of them (with so much detail!!!) and write each one as many times as you can.
    Flashcards??? Idk. Personally, I hate flashcards, as I just am too lazy to make/use them. But it's a good way to get oral repetition.

Mindset!
    HISTORY ISN'T CLINICAL!!! IT ISN'T A BUNCH OF BORING FACTS!!! Find the humour in everything! Like, I was studying American history and in each of my essays, I included a stupid quote by a President just to laugh at while I was writing. History is the most human subject you can do, approach it as a human, not a exam-machine.
    Exams aren't trying to deceive you!!! Exams are your friends!!!! (This applies to all subjects) Don't go into the exam looking for a trick question, answer what's in front of you.

Exam Technique
    Loads!!! Of!!! Timed!!! Practice!!!
    Structure:
    Intro
    Weaker Side (3 points with more detail than should be humanly possible)
    Why weaker side is weaker
    Stronger side (3 point with again, so much detail)
    Conc

+ It seems like History isn't really working for you, if you don't understand anything. Are you sure it's the right subject for you?
    Thanks for replying to me. The problem I am also having is that the book provides little information for the exam because with History, you should know more or less everything about something, ie who what when where why etc. So how can I take notes on this. Should I do extra notes from somewhere else, but where?

Also what do you need to be successful at in the exam to get at least a B. I assume the analysis but how can I develop my analysis, is there some sort of method to use, as yes I do know about PEEL (learnt it in year 7).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Like the person above said, group things in relation to Stuart Britain-

For example when writing notes- political, economic, regional factors

Essay -

Make a point- in relation to the question- if the question is asking about economic factors that's what you do for the first para
    Analyse- this suggests, this reinforces the idea that
    Evidence: this can be supported by
    Link back to the question
    Evaluate- this is important- top band answers evaluate!!!!

Hope this helps

Treat it a bit like a sopa opera with a plot and characters doing things for various reasons.

You need an understanding of the timeline, being the events and the order in which they happened.

Based on your information I would:

1. Pre prepare lessons so you cna listen and add to notes you already have rather than struggling to try and understand for the first ime in lessons.
    2. A 1 page timeline would be a good guide
    3. Get a revision book now and you cna get an oversight of the area you are studying.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.