The Student Room Group

A-level History advice

HelloI have started A-level History and I am in a bit of a serious and bad position. I failed my first year and therefore I am retaking this year with a new subject (History), but it feels like I am heading towards the same position as I was in last year.

I have a really rubbish history teacher and every time I am in lesson I feel as though I am not learning anything as he just rambles on anything and everything relating to the topic. I just don't understand anything, or don't know what to take notes on or what will be relevant or not in the exam writing, and I am also new to History (never did it in GCSE).

So I usually come home from college and try and study but I just don't know HOW TO STUDY HISTORY, and HOW to take notes from a book with not much information in it for at least a C in the exam. I don't know where to start and I just don't understand anything in the book or anything about the topic. Do you have any advice.

Also, It is the Oxford AQA book and I am studying stuart britain and the crisis of monarchy 1603 - 1703

thanks
Original post by mnc61
HelloI have started A-level History and I am in a bit of a serious and bad position. I failed my first year and therefore I am retaking this year with a new subject (History), but it feels like I am heading towards the same position as I was in last year.

I have a really rubbish history teacher and every time I am in lesson I feel as though I am not learning anything as he just rambles on anything and everything relating to the topic. I just don't understand anything, or don't know what to take notes on or what will be relevant or not in the exam writing, and I am also new to History (never did it in GCSE).

So I usually come home from college and try and study but I just don't know HOW TO STUDY HISTORY, and HOW to take notes from a book with not much information in it for at least a C in the exam. I don't know where to start and I just don't understand anything in the book or anything about the topic. Do you have any advice.

Also, It is the Oxford AQA book and I am studying stuart britain and the crisis of monarchy 1603 - 1703

thanks

Rule #1 DO NOT DEPEND ON YOUR TEACHER Mine are relatively good, but that does not mean I can leave it to them (my school provides two for history) to teach me the concepts, facts and, well, history! Because of these *****y teachers the pass rates a shockingly poor- but its not their fault, mine couldn't care less about my peers and I.
You have a specified book, you have examiner reports, online exam reviews and past papers- there are also blogs dedicated to your area at A Level and beyond. Teachers are just one of many resources. The sooner you learn that the better. I just view the lesson as a chance to ask questions on exam technique and some content.
I compeletely understand the vicious cycle of not understanding because you don't know yet what you need to fully understand, but everyone is in the same boat and coming onto rule #2 A LEVELS ARE NOT ABOUT HOW SMART YOU ARE BUT HOW HARD YOU ARE WILLING TO WORK.
Seriously. On the distribution curve for a levels, success and hard work correlate- intelligence and luck are at the edges so you cant count on that. My point is that you need to work your butt off instead of complaining.

If worse come to worse, get a tutor and if you are a peasant like me, see it as an investment for your future to put your self in the best possible position when it comes to uni/ jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending