I wanna start taking antidepressants

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    My life is going down hill, and I've been surfing from extreme depression for years now. I wanna start taking antidepressants because I don't recall being happy in months. Every part of my life is gray and sad.
    - How do I get them?
    - Are they free (I'm not of full age)?
    - Can they help my problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uwsfan22837)
    My life is going down hill, and I've been surfing from extreme depression for years now. I wanna start taking antidepressants because I don't recall being happy in months. Every part of my life is gray and sad.
    - How do I get them?
    You would need to have an appointment with your GP to discuss your issues and how they are affecting you. Yes, they would be free. There is, however, no guarantee that you would be given them, it really depends on the assessment taken by your doctor. They may suggest other forms of treatment such as counselling, CBT etc. before looking at drug therapy. Antidepressants take a while to work, often several weeks, and even then the dosage or drug type often needs to be altered.*

ReputationRep:
    - How do I get them?
    You need to go to your GP to get diagnosed if you aren't already, and they'll help you look into treatment. That's the only way to get medication. They are a prescription, so incur a prescription charge. You may be eligible for free prescriptions depending on your circumstances, however. Some people find they help, others don't. This method of treatment isn't for everyone, and that's something to really discuss in depth with your doctor

ReputationRep:
    Do they work? Has anyone ever had any experience with them?
    Also who's a GP? (I don't live in Britain yet, soz)

ReputationRep:
    General Practitioner. Basically a Dr you see out in the community (not a hospital).

Even if they do prescribe medication (there is no guarantee), they'll also probably suggest you also engage in talking therapy such as CBT. This is known as combination therapy and is particularly useful for those with severe depression as you suggest you have.

They do work. Prescribed drugs, in general, will have gone through testing and reviews to show they work better than a placebo.
    But they don't work immediately and the first medication you get prescribed may not necessarily do the job perfectly.
    I've been on two. They are both a type of antidepressant called SSRI.

ReputationRep:
    ive been doing work on depression for a few lessons now and there was a research that shows children and young people shouldn't use anti-depressants as the first treatment just because majority of people can get better without them. The drugs can cause side effects and they are not always effective. If you do have moderate to severe depression your GP might get you to do something like CBT instead

ReputationRep:
    hi, I tihnk you should get a GP appointment, and perhaps ask for a blood test but they will advise you most definately on what you need - I was showing a few depressive symptoms but it turned out I had a very underactive thyroid, had a blood test which shows if anything is amiss, and once I was on the right medication for thyroid, I've been feeling a lot better and symptoms (some symptoms are similar like sleeping a lot, mood etc) like sleeping a lot have lessoned massiveley. go and see them and they will be able to help you

ReputationRep:
    Usually your GP will go through what you've been doing for yourself - exercise, eating well, sleep, looking at stress in your life.You'll probably be referred for counselling before you be put on meds, especially depending on your age.

Anti depressants for me have been a lot worse than actually being off them. Weight gain, depression (the irony) and loads of other side effects, but I'm choosing sleep over mood at the moment.

It might be worth getting bloods done to rule out anything else that might be causing it (things like underactive thyroid)

ReputationRep:
    They take a while to actually work if they work at all. 3-4 weeks maybe slightly sooner.

If you get side effects, you'll get them immediately. E.g. my libido is low (I'm okay with doing it twice a week whereas before, I'd do it every day easily), it takes a month for me to orgasm, orgasms don't feel as good, etc, etc. I'm also slightly sleepy which for me is a good thing (cos I had problems with insomnia) but generally it wouldn't be nice for most I imagine.

I mainly get sexual side effects and some nausea the first week. That's it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    - How do I get them?
    You have to be prescribed them by a GP (basically a doctor). Go to your doctor, or any doctor if you don't have a specific one, and tell them about your symptoms. They will listen and decide what's best. Since you're not 18 it will probably be free if you are in education, the problem with being under 18 however, is that many doctors don't like giving anti-depressents unless they have tried other methods first. My sister was in hospital after taking too many pills so clearly she was depressed, yet she was only 17 so the doctor didn't want to prescribe her meds and instead started her on a online counselling course and put on a waiting list for therapy (never happened though). BUT some doctors are different and might give you a combination of medication and therapy. If you want, you can ask if they could prescribe you meds- they might just agree with you and start you on a low dose.

I am 20 and my doctor offered me medication after discussing counselling, so naturally I said yes, because for me I am not good at talking to people about my problems, hence why it took me 4 years to pluck up the courage to speak to a doctor.

But yeah, go see a doctor, you can't get meds without one. Try alernative methods if they are offered- if you just say no to this, they're going to think all you want is anti depressents and they might be more reluctant to help.

Good luck and hope you start to feel better soon. Bare in mind if you are put on anti depressants, they take up to 6 weeks to fully kick in, so try some counselling if it is offered to you, and be patient with the meds x

ReputationRep:
    Don't self diagnose if you've not been diagnosed before (your wording above is slightly ambiguous).

Book an appointment with your GP and talk to them, they'll be able to refer you and if appropriate prescribe you something.

If you don't feel comfortable talking to an GP (mental healthcare provision in the UK is awful) then I'd suggest you try talking to a third party organisation like Time to Talk, their helplines are very good

Look after yourself OP

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and I've been on multiple antidepressants over the past 3 years.
    Unless your GP feels you are depressed and have tried lifestyle changes and talking therapy such as CBT, they would just give you antidepressants.
    Medication is a last resort, especially for young people, and it is used as such. Only 1 antidepressant is actually licensed for use in under 18's in the UK and therefore it would be likely the GP would refer you to a psychiatrist if they felt it was necessary.
    In response to the last part of your question, whether they help or not isn't something anyone can tell you. Antidepressants often make you feel worse to begin with and only start to change your mood a few weeks in. For some people they do not help at all and for some they improve their symptoms significantly.
    Just to be clear, they will not just make you 'happy'.
    Hope you feel better soon.

ReputationRep:
    I want to take some too but I don't think the GP would take me seriously specially since I've been getting better. For the past week, I've noticed that my mood is slowly going back to that dark place and to be frank I'm ****ing fed up of this rollarcoaster.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.