Struggling with A levels and no idea what I want to do

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    So, last month, I progressed to year 12 to do my A levels. I've been struggling... a lot. Although I am struggling with the workload quite a bit, it's mostly manageable if I work really hard.

My real problem is the fact that I have been so indecisive about my subjects and what I want to do after A levels. When I first applied to my college, I had something like maths, further maths, physics and computer science. When I finally got to college, I was doing those subjects except history instead of further maths. After a few weeks in, I began to seriously dislike computer science and I changed it to English literature. I just picked it because I didn't have many other options and I was becoming desperate to get away from computer science. So right now, I'm doing maths, physics, history and English literature.

You can already see, I'm in a bit of an awkward situation where I am split directly between two STEM subjects and two essay based subjects. I'm completely fine with maths and history, I'm enjoying them so far and managing the work really well. Physics I have found to be extremely difficult on the other hand and English literature I've found easy but boring.

I'm just so scared about what I've possibly done to myself. All of my friends in college are doing all three sciences and maths or a bunch of essay based subjects. On top of that, they all seem to know what they want to do and they're doing fine in their subjects. I on the other hand, am not even sure about my subjects and I've been struggling so much with physics recently getting E's on the tests but I don't want to drop it because it's the only science subject that I have. I regret not taking biology.

I feel so scared that I am going nowhere with what I'm doing right now and it's too late for me to change my subjects. Even if I could, I have no idea what I would want to do. The subjects I am doing now, are ones which I enjoyed at GCSE, but with physics in particular I'm no longer enjoying the subject and I'm finding it so difficult but it's my only chance of doing something science based at university. Like I said, I have absolutely no idea what I want to do, but I don't want to shut off my only possibility of doing a science at university.

Has anybody got any advice for me?
    Is it normal for me to have absolutely no idea what I want to do?
    Has anyone been in the same position as me before where you feel like you've picked subjects that you're not heading anywhere with?

ReputationRep:
    hey , I was sort of in a similar scenario last year
    its not too late to change - you have 3 years free education - up to age 19
    I believe some sixth forms/colleges need you to do 4 due to funding, but if there was a way for you to drop a subject it will help you focus and be more on top of things
    Its normal to be getting low grades unfortunately - I did as level sociology and didn't get any c grades until after the mock exams,

My advice to you would be see if you can drop a subject if you want (get support with this e.g. parents), would going to any other colleges interest you if you could do the same subjects?
    you might find another setting better and a bit less academically straining as some sixth forms are (mine definately was and cliquey), even now people are transferring to college
    I would suggest perhaps waiting until you've done mock exams then see where you stand, if you decide you don't want to carry on (some sixth forms want DDDD or above for year 13) look into transferring to college if your're really struggling with them, either continuing with the same subjects, or with different ones

if you find your intended path you want to go down may not work spend a few months looking at alternative qualifications - there's many btecs in science subjects e.g. forensic science, health and social care, health science btec, etc e.g. (maybe not looked favourably on tsr but i do a btec (not science however) and its awesome - i did as level last year, did the exams and quit straight after and left sixth form )

you could always have a look around uni open days (i didn't get that far before i left 6th form) or on uni websites tp see what courses interest you and what grades you need if you want to do a certain course, you could also use now until christmas or summer getting work experience, or volunteering places to see what you want to do
    sorry if this post is a little jumbled

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.