'There was always lack of self-worth.' Robbie Williams

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    People assure me that one isn't weak, if one has depression. I think one cannot begin to cure it if you don't acknowledge the problem.,

Williams the singer said 'a lack of self confidence...has driven my life. Both as a curse and a blessing.'

People also advise you that other people do not pick on you.

I disagree.

So, weak? No!

Persecuted? No!

Two minuses equals a plus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robertddangoor)
    People assure me that one isn't weak, if one has depression. I think one cannot begin to cure it if you don't acknowledge the problem.,

Williams the singer said 'a lack of self confidence...has driven my life. Both as a curse and a blessing.'

People also advise you that other people do not pick on you.

I disagree.

So, weak? No!

Persecuted? No!

Two minuses equals a plus?
    I'm not too sure what it is you're getting at here? I think it's really interesting how different characteristics change people- low self worth is seen as a bad thing, but this is an example that it's in some ways been good. For me, I'm ridiculously stubborn (which is seen as bad) and determined (which is good), but those two things have literally kept me alive. Equally, they've also made me a lot more ill than I would have been if I was less so. So it can go both ways.

On a different note, people with mental illness are definitely not weak, which is what you're saying I think. If anything they are sometimes stronger- admitting there's a problem in the first place can be one of the hardest things to do. Much as I hate cliches, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger definitely rings true for me. Hopefully as more awareness is raised people start to understand this

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.