The Student Room Group

QUB Medicine 2017 Entry [A100]

I couldn't see one so here it is! Introduce yourselves, we are in for a roller coaster ride this year :biggrin:
I'm reapplying this year, and I was an offer holder last entry, so I'd be glad to help with any questions or queries.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:bump:
Reply 2
All by myseeeeeelf...don't wanna be all by myyyyyseeeeeelf
Reply 3
I've applied this year as a graduate! Anyone know when you usually hear about interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by C_Harkin
I've applied this year as a graduate! Anyone know when you usually hear about interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you get about a week or twos notice however The provisional dates for these are 18, 19, 20 January and 15 March 2017 according to an email from them.
is this queen mary uni london?
Reply 6
Original post by Sniperdon227

I think it's queens university Belfast
is there not a dent thread for entry 2017, all I hear is medicine :frown:
Reply 8
is there not a dent thread for entry 2017, all I hear is medicine :frown:

I'm sorry to hear that. Why don't you make one? I'm sure it will catch on in no time, dentistry threads are usually busy enough. And the dentistry school is usually affiliated with the medical school to following along should give you an idea of how much progress has happened on the applications.

Nope it's Queen's University Belfast
Hey im applying to QUB. I got 37/42 points on the scoring system with 4 A's at AS level. The cutoff last year was apparently 37 with 4A's or 38 so I'm hoping they keep it that way, considering UKCAT is slightly worse this year and GCSE's number of A*'s dipped in 2015, I hope that they will consider my application. I also live in the East of England and from what I heard QUB is looking to increase the number of applicants from across the water.
Reply 10
Original post by eryk_laroche
Hey im applying to QUB. I got 37/42 points on the scoring system with 4 A's at AS level. The cutoff last year was apparently 37 with 4A's or 38 so I'm hoping they keep it that way, considering UKCAT is slightly worse this year and GCSE's number of A*'s dipped in 2015, I hope that they will consider my application. I also live in the East of England and from what I heard QUB is looking to increase the number of applicants from across the water.

Hey :smile:
I know people who got interview with 36 last year, so I personally wouldn't worry too much considering all the factors you mentioned, but from having annoyed the admissions team last year, they have repeatedly told me that 38 is a very safe number. At 38 you are pretty much guaranteed interview (unofficially). One thing, since you're not at 38 I wonder if they might make you wait for the later interview date. From having talked to others, they seem to invite in order of score. Also, you should get advance notice to locals since you have to fly out.
Last year the points was 36 and Abbb at AS. I had 36 and AAAA at AS and was told risky to apply. Ivwanted to go to Queens asI am from Northern Ireland. Anyway i got offer from Liverpool but in August turned it down as i really want to go to Queens. So thought i would reapply to Queens. BAD IDEA as 3 days after i submitted my UCAS i heard that reapplicants for medicine get 0 points from Queens if they did not apply the first time. They are the only medical school to have this silly rule.

After a few phone calls they are not budging on this rule. I then tried to ring Liverpool to see if my offer from last year could be given for next year. I explained the problem. But no i have to go through the whole damm process again.

The only consilation is that UCAS agreed to let me remove Queens from the list and put another choice in.
I HAVE WASTED A YEAR UNNECESSARILY AND I MAY STILL NOT GET IN
Reply 12
Original post by BadLashes
X

Oh wow, I am really sorry there :frown: good luck with your application this year, especially the choice that will now replace queens. But just knowing that you were an offer holder AND have the grades will give you the boost to be even better than you were last year. I won't give you all the crap about how this year "will give you a chance to mature" and "it's a good break" and all that but all the best.
Yas QUB people!

I've got 40 on the scoring system (I think, unless english language is included in the top 9 in which case i'd be ****ed), why have others applied to QUB (curious)?

:smile:
Pretty sure it will be judged since its a core GCSE and Leicester judges English. What would you be scored without it?

I applied to QUB because it would be a nice adventure to get away from England for 5 years and I think the traditional teaching way is pretty good. Also Belfast looks like a really comfy city haha

Original post by hoafanuk
Yas QUB people!

I've got 40 on the scoring system (I think, unless english language is included in the top 9 in which case i'd be ****ed), why have others applied to QUB (curious)?

Reply 15
Original post by hoafanuk
Yas QUB people!

I emailed and asked them this very question before applying and I was told it was just your top 9 that are scored, ie no subjects that have to be included for the scoring.
Hello,

I'm currently studying Chemistry at Queen's and hoping to do Medicine after graduating. Is it true that I cannot get a student loan to study Graduate Entry Medicine (ie, 4-year accelerated course) from Student Finance NI? If this is true it would basically make the QUB 5 year course my only option, unless I win the lottery/strike oil in my backyard.

Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by Wellington1815
Hello,

I'm currently studying Chemistry at Queen's and hoping to do Medicine after graduating. Is it true that I cannot get a student loan to study Graduate Entry Medicine (ie, 4-year accelerated course) from Student Finance NI? If this is true it would basically make the QUB 5 year course my only option, unless I win the lottery/strike oil in my backyard.

Thanks

This is probably an obvious, but have you gotten in touch woth Studen Finance NI? no one can answer your question as well as them.
Reply 18
Has anyone received a confirmation email or the like yet??
Original post by Millie-3
Has anyone received a confirmation email or the like yet??

Nope QUB is the only university for which i have not gotten a confirmation email. Do you know if they read your personal statement if you have not met the cut off? Or do they immediately reject it?

Quick Reply

Latest