B1065 – Voluntary Repatriation Bill 2016

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    B1065 – Voluntary Repatriation Bill 2016, Unown Uzer MP
    Voluntary Repatriation Bill 2016

A
    BILL
    TO

Provide the Option of Voluntary Repatriation for First and Second Generation Immigrants

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1) Definitions
    (a) A first generation immigrant constitutes a foreign born citizen who has immigrated to United Kingdom.
    (b) A second generation immigrant constitutes an individual of the first generation of a family to be born in the United Kingdom, who holds, or is eligible for, citizenship of the nation(s) of birth of the first generation of their family to reside in the United Kingdom.
    (c) Voluntary repatriation is the process by which said immigrants are returned to the nation of origin of citizenship (in certain cases pertaining to second generation immigrants, the nation of origin of family).
    (d) A person’s home nation is defined as the nation of the individual’s own birth or the nation of birth of one or more of their parents.

2) Procedures and guidelines
    (1) The Home Office will oversee the formation of the Ministry of Repatriation, which will be responsible for carrying out voluntary repatriations for first and second generation immigrants.
    (2) The Minister of Repatriation will be appointed as a junior to the Home Secretary, and have powers over the direction and administration of the repatriation efforts.

3) Process of voluntary repatriation
    (1) First and second generation immigrants who are willing to return to their home nations may commence such proceedings by informing the aforementioned Ministry of Repatriation of their intentions to do so, by filling in a form to be known as the “Repatriation Application Form”.
    (2) The Ministry of Repatriation will file such requests.
    (3) All immigrants who undergo the process of Voluntary Repatriation will have their citizenship of the United Kingdom rescinded with immediate effect.
    (4) Immigrants who go through the process of Voluntary Repatriation cannot reapply for citizenship or any form of permanent stay in the United Kingdom for 20 years from the day their citizenship was rescinded.
    (5) The Minister of Repatriation may make a special exception for a citizen whose citizenship would be deemed illegal under Section 3 subsection 4.

4) Short title, commencement and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Voluntary Repatriation Act 2016.
    (2) This Act comes into effect 120 days after Royal Assent.
    (3) This Act extends to the entirety of the United Kingdom.

Notes
    There are immigrants in the United Kingdom who want leave the UK and return to their home country permanently, but cannot afford to do so, so this Act helps them by allowing them to live in the country that they want to live in.

ReputationRep:
    This strikes me as somewhat overkill, certainly doesn't need its own ministry, it would be a tiny part of in reality FCO rather than home.

ReputationRep:
    Why? They can do it themselves...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Why? They can do it themselves...
    There is this thing called the "notes" section, I guess you didn't read the bill.

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of sections 3(3) to 3(5) and I see this as reasonable.

Edit: also, assuming your notes are accurate and the reason is that they cannot afford to do so and you want to help them, you need to include a provision for providing funding in the text of the Bill itself.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't even mention funding.

The genuine sentiments behind this are grotesque.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Doesn't even mention funding.

The genuine sentiments behind this are grotesque.
    Do you have any reason to believe the cosy would exceed the £100m threshold?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How many Muslims can this bill get rid of?

Any number above 1 is an aye from me.

Edit: Was a joke, don't kill me plz.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not, whilst I recognise the harm of having a consistent influx of people in conjunction with a welfare state this Bill is unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    Nay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would consider supporting this if there was a period people could have and reverse their decision.

And why 20 years? I would prefer just to make it so they have to apply in the same way as everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    nay, if they can come here on their own accord they can leave on their own accord.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

ReputationRep:
    **sorry, catching up as my proxy didn't vote for me**

Nay

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.