A levels & GCSEs for medicine?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm in currently year 12 have just started studying 3 Linear A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I would LOVe To study medicine in the future, and I know maths / physics would've perhaps been better subjects to take rather than psych, although I think I'm more likely to get higher grades if I do a 'softer' subject like psychology as opposed to another science... hypothetically speaking, if I were to get AAA or maybe even 1 a*, do you think I could still get into medicine with a subject like psychology ? (my school doesn't offer an AS / discouraged me from doing a 4th a level)
    I got 'modest' grades in my GCSEs - 3A*s, 6As and a B in econ, I have done a lot of extracurricular things (DofE, this dementia befriended scheme etc) and if I were to get a lot of work experience, a good BMAT and UKCAT score and apply to less prestigious universities, would I still stand a chance with 3 a levels in bio Chem and psych? I go to a state school too but wouldn't be eligible for a foundation year or anything... thank you... I'm just so determined to do medicine!

ReputationRep:
    Your fine- I do the same subjects as you (and I did AS geography) and I'm applying with a pretty strong application. My UKCAT is 704. You don't stand at any disadvantaged unless you apply for Oxbridge which I didn't like the teaching style of anyway. Just get some work experience and get your AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh and feel free to message me if you have any questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You've just reassured me so much, you're a lifesaver! I'd been worrying whether I was at any disadvantage by not doing maths / physics but I feel a lot better now haha! And Wow!! that's an incredible score, well done! I really hope you do get in thank you, I will do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    tbh you're probably at an advantage- you'll have something different to talk about at interview, and anything different igood- gives you something to discuss, and the more your interview is like a mutual discussion, the better- gives the interviewer a better impression of you

ReputationRep:
    How did you revise for GCSE triple science? Thanks, I'm planning on taking triple science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetstars)
    How did you revise for GCSE triple science? Thanks, I'm planning on taking triple science.
    Triple science content is easier and much much shorter then the core and double (if I remember rightly) so it doesn't need a lot of revision, just doing over notes and past papers, plus you do the test when it's fresh in your mind still

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failingstudent98)
    Triple science content is easier and much much shorter then the core and double (if I remember rightly) so it doesn't need a lot of revision, just doing over notes and past papers, plus you do the test when it's fresh in your mind still

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When is the exam? o_O I wouldn't really want to do it earlier. :/

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.