Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Help! Brit travelling and wants to return to study Watch

    • Thread Starter


    I need help!


    I am a Brit overseas. I left the UK in November 2014 for temporary work and travel in Australia and have been based here since then (2 years November). I believe I can demonstrate evidence that I am an ordinary resident in the UK. I make payments out of my UK bank account, student loans repayments and I have been to the UK twice in the last year and will spend over 3 weeks there at Christmas and have proof of ownership to my parents residential home.

    I want to retrain to be a nurse and have started my UCAS application from Australia. I am going to be in the UK for over 3 weeks at Christmas and am hoping I will have a few interviews to go during this time.

    To complicate things I already have an Undergraduate Degree. My preference is to get accepted on to a 2 year postgrad diploma but if that isn't succesful I have also applied to do a second undergrad. If I get accepted to the postgrad I think even with the changes to NHS bursary there is still help there IF I can get approved loan from student loans.

    Undergrad courses would start in September 2017 and Postgrad Dip would be January 2018.

    With all of this in mind can I apply for a student loan? I appreciate
    I am a bit concerned that after my initial research and thought it would be ok other more recent conversations have left me to believe that it might be a no.
    If the answer is yes I can apply or there is a chance I could get support...
    Do I have to physically be in the UK to apply and is there a date I should be in the UK by?

    Any help or advice would be really appreciated

    Thank you
    • Official TSR Representative

    Hi there.

    Currently it's looking likely that we will be able to fund you for a second degree that is (or was) NHS funded. We will be able to award full support for this regardless of previous study.

    We don't currently offer full funding for a Postgrad Dip and can award Disabled Student's Allowances only for these courses.

    The Postgrad team at Student Loans are currently only able to fund Postgrad Masters courses also.

Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.