Plagiarising my own work?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I studied Edexcel GCSE Geography last year, and as part of my coursework, we had to do a study of tourism. I received a very high A* grade on this as it had taken me weeks to complete.

I am now studying OCR A Level Geography at college and have to complete an almost identical piece of field work for the coursework. Could i just use the piece I completed last year?

The word count isn't an issue - I wrote 9,000 words compared to the OCR recommended limit of 3,000-4,000, so could i just use my coursework from last year? Or could it be seen in some way as plagiarising?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated,
    Many Thanks
    George

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to reuse the work though check the requirements to make sure that you're addressing all that needs to be in the piece of work.

(Original post by wellsy2000)
    Hi,
    I studied Edexcel GCSE Geography last year, and as part of my coursework, we had to do a study of tourism. I received a very high A* grade on this as it had taken me weeks to complete.

I am now studying OCR A Level Geography at college and have to complete an almost identical piece of field work for the coursework. Could i just use the piece I completed last year?

The word count isn't an issue - I wrote 9,000 words compared to the OCR recommended limit of 3,000-4,000, so could i just use my coursework from last year? Or could it be seen in some way as plagiarising?

Many Thanks
    George
    Yes, you can get in trouble for plagiarising your own work - it happened to me at one point. Likewise, you can get in trouble for referencing your own prior work too.

ReputationRep:
    Could i just use the piece I completed last year?
    No.
    In general, you shouldn't be using anything that isn't original work for that assignment. Some T&Cs outright tell you that it's considered to be plagiarism because the work has already been written, plus you may be able to produce something better anyway. If you did a study and gathered data, you could reuse it but ONLY if you explicitly say it's old data and if you're comparing it to a new set of data which you've gathered. It's ok to take ideas from how you did a previous assignment, but you should never outright resubmit a piece you've done for something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Yes, you can get in trouble for plagiarising your own work - it happened to me at one point. Likewise, you can get in trouble for referencing your own prior work too.
    This is true. If i hadn't asked my lecturer, I would have been in serious trouble.

Self-plagiarism is a real thing, google it. It might sound stupid but you can get into trouble for plagiarising your own work and not citing it properly in your report/essay.

Because both reports are submitted using Turnitin (I assume?) or some other plagiariser checking software, it will most likely be picked up and you could get into trouble.

Not worth the risk OP, write a new piece of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    (Original post by Luneth)
    No.
    In general, you shouldn't be using anything that isn't original work for that assignment. Some T&Cs outright tell you that it's considered to be plagiarism because the work has already been written, plus you may be able to produce something better anyway. If you did a study and gathered data, you could reuse it but ONLY if you explicitly say it's old data and if you're comparing it to a new set of data which you've gathered. It's ok to take ideas from how you did a previous assignment, but you should never outright resubmit a piece you've done for something else.
    (Original post by UWS)
    This is true. If i hadn't asked my lecturer, I would have been in serious trouble.

Self-plagiarism is a real thing, google it. It might sound stupid but you can get into trouble for plagiarising your own work and not citing it properly in your report/essay.

Because both reports are submitted using Turnitin (I assume?) or some other plagiariser checking software, it will most likely be picked up and you could get into trouble.

Not worth the risk OP, write a new piece of work.
    Guys you're referring to uni level work. This is a GCSE student!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    It's A Level, but this kind of thing shouldn't be promoted. If I was a Uni recruiter and heard that the candidate was lazy enough to reuse an essay, I wouldn't want them at my Uni. There's no reason to not write a new piece unless you're too lazy to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I get that but isn't it safer to not try it? I personally don't see why we should be introducing such practices to people just because they're at GCSE/A-Level.

OP is concerned that it might be seen as plagiarising, so the best thing to do is not attempt it. That way, they get to actually complete a brand new piece of work and there's no risk of getting caught (if they do at that level).

ReputationRep:
    It's A Level, but this kind of thing shouldn't be promoted. If I was a Uni recruiter and heard that the candidate was lazy enough to reuse an essay, I wouldn't want them at my Uni. There's no reason to not write a new piece unless you're too lazy to do it.
    I agree it shouldn't be promoted but there is also context. I work for a uni and no we wouldn't penalise someone for reusing work at this level if the requirements and content required are very similar. We wouldn't even check tbh. People actually reuse their PSs when applying again!

ReputationRep:
    Whether you can get away with it is really down to your institution. They may allow it and they may not. The only people who can give you a
    definitive answer is your teacher, and evne then they may wish to contact the exam board. You might not get hit for plagiarising but there's no reason they couldn't fail you as a result of not having done the work. Since ultimately reusing an old piece of work is technically not going to be considered writing a piece of coursework. It's also entirely possible you get away with it, your work goes off for moderation, the exam board declare it as plagiarised and you have to go through an appeals process.

As mentioned I certainly wouldn't be recommending it. If you're asked to complete a piece of work that means to complete a piece of work. Not to take an old piece of work and hand it in. Arguably if you've already done the work before it shouldn't be that much of an issue to do another piece now right?

In the event you are told it is alright get something signed and in writing that says so. That way you remove some of the risk associated with doing so.

ReputationRep:
    Or you have explored the topic as much as you can already...

But anyway, @OP - you will not get an A* at A Level for an A* GCSE work. Maybe not even an A. You already know many things to consider so just do it again based on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Or you have explored the topic as much as you can already...
    I seriously doubt that at GSCE, you've explored every approach to the topic.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Many Thanks
    George
    Looking at http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/223012-...raphy-h481.pdf this coursework will be worth 20% of your final A level grade.

The word count indicates that what you produced for GCSE is not suitable for resubmission for A level - 3 times the length recommended is not a good thing!

Speak to your teachers about whether your previous work was submitted for external examination/shared with a plagiarism detection software and what if anything from your previous work can be salvaged or reused for this piece of work.

It's foolish to risk 1/5 of your grade for the sake of laziness. This shouldn't be about whether you'll be caught or not - it should be about what will get you a mark that reflects your ability.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can re-use it if it is your own work. The question is, will you get anything out of it beyond a grade?

ReputationRep:
    I seriously doubt that at GSCE, you've explored every approach to the topic.
    Every approach feasible also at A Level? Every approach feasible that is still going to be interesting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    interesting
    Whether your approach to the question/task is "interesting" or not doesn't matter. You're writing an assessment, not selling a book.

ReputationRep:
    Whether your approach to the question/task is "interesting" or not doesn't matter. You're writing an assessment, not selling a book.
    I meant interesting for you. If there is no feasible, different way of approaching the coursework than for the GCSE one he did, I think it is very understandable for him to pretty much do the same thing again.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.